TR6 Aluminium Radiator

Hello all

I have fitted an aluminium radiator to my TR6 and have encountered a problem with system pressure. The cap which comes with the rad is 1.1 bar which I think is about 16psi.

After a (spirited!) run yesterday I had a coolant leak at the heater box, I hope because it was the weakest point in the system.I tightened the hose clips at the heater but I've not had this problem before even with a higher than normal pressure cap fitted.

The cap is smaller than a normal one and I believe is similar to those fitted to Japanese cars.

Has anyone else had a similar problem and, if so, what is the solution. I checked with a local motor factor and the lowest pressure cap he could find was 0.9 bar (13psi) which is still higher than I would like.

I contacted the supplier but he was unable to help. Should I just bin it and revert to a standard radiator and put it down to experience?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Ron

Whilst I have never seen the point of an alloy radiator except for racing where the weight loss may be an advantage, as alloy radiators are less efficient than copper cored ones. One solution could be fit a plain blanking cap and take the overflow to an external expansion tank (loads available) fitted with the pressure cap you desire.

Alan

Hello all

I have fitted an aluminium radiator to my TR6 and have encountered a problem with system pressure. The cap which comes with the rad is 1.1 bar which I think is about 16psi.

After a (spirited!) run yesterday I had a coolant leak at the heater box, I hope because it was the weakest point in the system.I tightened the hose clips at the heater but I've not had this problem before even with a higher than normal pressure cap fitted.

The cap is smaller than a normal one and I believe is similar to those fitted to Japanese cars.

Has anyone else had a similar problem and, if so, what is the solution. I checked with a local motor factor and the lowest pressure cap he could find was 0.9 bar (13psi) which is still higher than I would like.

I contacted the supplier but he was unable to help. Should I just bin it and revert to a standard radiator and put it down to experience?

Ron

If you are talking about the 2 Flexible hoses which terminate on to the heat exchanger. That in my experience has always been difficult to seal. I have tried a number of different clips on the hoses. I now always use pipe jointing compound on the pipe spigots and that has never failed. Or are you talking about the bulk head pipe fitting as they suffer from rust rot and are best replaced with a s/s one.

Bruce.

Hello all

Ron

Did this to death a few years ago - is it a Winner Racing radiator?

I think the description is a Japanese style radiator cap - try motorcycle shops

or check the dimensions of this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Japanese-Radiator-Pressure-Cap-0-9-Bar-13-psi-/161064224004?hash=item25802d0504:g:9RMAAOSwR0JURROx

Peter W

Did this to death a few years ago - is it a Winner Racing radiator?

I think the description is a Japanese style radiator cap - try motorcycle shops

or check the dimensions of this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Japanese-Radiator-Pressure-Cap-0-9-Bar-13-psi-/161064224004?hash=item25802d0504:g:9RMAAOSwR0JURROx

Peter W

Hi Peter

Thanks for your reply. It's not a Winner one but identical. I think they all come from China and are probably made from melted down Coke cans!

Thanks for the link, I have ordered a 0.9 bar cap which is the lowest available.Hopefully this will help.

Regards

Ron

If you are talking about the 2 Flexible hoses which terminate on to the heat exchanger. That in my experience has always been difficult to seal. I have tried a number of different clips on the hoses. I now always use pipe jointing compound on the pipe spigots and that has never failed. Or are you talking about the bulk head pipe fitting as they suffer from rust rot and are best replaced with a s/s one.

Bruce.

Hi Bruce

It's difficult to tell as I had coolant on both sides of the bulkhead! It may have leaked only on one side and transferred under pressure or on both sides. I guess more investigation is needed.

Regards

Ron

If it is leaking at the heater connection on the bulkhead, either side, that's what i think you mean?

Then perhaps fit a new bulkhead heater pipe connector, and hoses/clips, i had a devil's job sealing the tired old one on my last 6, only to find new ones available.....

Steve

Hi Bruce

It's difficult to tell as I had coolant on both sides of the bulkhead! It may have leaked only on one side and transferred under pressure or on both sides. I guess more investigation is needed.

Regards

Ron

I would check the through bulk-head fitting as these rust rot as already stated. I have seen them in a semi dis-intergrated state?

Bruce.

there diff types of ally rad available,

this type is much much bettter than the E bay jobs

and, if ye look closely, there only 2 wata slots,instead of 4/5 as on OE, and 3 on the others

this in theory will let moer air thru faster, so cooling better,

yes I no its fora , butt bloke does them for TRs too

Revival Motorsport Fabrications in uk.

M

post-12368-0-89069000-1495318174_thumb.jpg

post-12368-0-02016800-1495318198_thumb.jpg

post-12368-0-42854500-1495318210_thumb.jpg

post-12368-0-89357600-1495318223_thumb.jpg

Edited by GT6M