speedometers different for LHD and RHD?

Since changing from RHD to LHD I ended up with the speedometer on the outside of the dashboard. I want to move it to the inside but came across a slight problem: the reset wheel at the end of the vertical rigid shaft is located in such a way that it hits one of the bars that hold the dash.

I wonder if the speedos for LHD (Km) cars had a different speedometer with the shaft on the other side.

Edited by qim

Thanks Don

I am not sure I understand what needs to be done to support stay, which I take to be the horizontal bracket that holds the dashboard.

The bit about "edge of slot adjacent to crease line" threw me totally. Where is this crease line and what slot is it about?

I'll have to to the car to have a look at the bracket but cannot remember any slots.

Sorry...

Edited by qim

The dash support should have a larger "U" shaped area cut away on one end. The reset shaft fits through this.

If your dash supports don't have this cutout it's easy to do it.

The dash of TS27952 has a hole for the reset button under the left side opening for the large instruments: So there the speedo was supposed to be on the left side = outside (and the rev counter on the right).

And that is what the instruction manual tells me as well (aside from other sources)

Regards, Johannes

I think that Raymond once told us that around a certain chassis# the rev and speedo changed place. Dunno for certain. My car #61xxx has the speedo on the right, near the middle of the instrument cluster in the middle.

M

Menno is right, just checked the bible - sorry - Bill P. "Original TR2...": This changed with TS29098:

- LHD cars up to TS29098: Speedo left

- LFD cars from TS29098: Speedo right

The reason is, that passengers get a better view on the mileage counter for rallying purposes.

Johannes

Hi

My LHD TR3A is comm. no 28560-L so the speedo is on the left as you look at it, and as I don´t rally in the car there is no need to change them, anyway, I drive on the rev. counter not the speedo.

One thing I have done, and would recommend, is to reverse the inner instruments with the heat gauge and oil pressure on the right as you can see them easier,and the other two are less important when motoring, and don´t need constant monitoring.

Dave

The dash support should have a larger "U" shaped area cut away on one end. The reset shaft fits through this.

If your dash supports don't have this cutout it's easy to do it.

Hi Don

Puzzle solved! The dash support has been fitted the other way round, and at the end there is indeed a "U" cut away.

I will reverse it and hopefully the problem is over.

Thanks!