Main bearings 4 cylinder engine

Thanks Alan, mind its a long time since Ive seen a crank that only needs a 10thou cut!

Stuart.

I would have thought there must be a strong case for our suppliers to approach Mahle/Vandervell Racing and commission a run of proper VP2 bearings for the 4 pot motors just as they have done for the 6 pot motors. The new old stock bearings we can sometimes pick up is now getting very very old!!

Cheers Rob

Hi Rob,

Revington did exactly that for the 6 pot engines.

I don't know how well they have been received sales wise and if it was worth it.

If the 6 pot shells are a success then perhaps Revington may be persuaded to go 4 pot as well.

However I must ask the question; in realistic terms how much better are the Vandervell shells compared to County bearings (as an example)

I had county shells in my 4A and did just short of 200,000 miles in 19 years, and they were still good to be put back in.

The engine was/is not a racer - max rpm 4000 and a gnats on the very very rare occasion.

But I would do 3000 rpm for hours on end (Oban to London with one 30 minute stop was common most years)

I would imagine 70/80% of our cars are used for touring - long, mid rpm stretches.

So if somebody took the plunge and commissioned a minimum order, at whatever cost, would they get their fingers burnt.

Don;t forget the old chant - 'Cheap parts rule OK'

Roger

@Roger I bought vandervell mains an b/e shells (standard) from Revingtons. I seem to remember they were about £90 which I thought was very good! Am I missing something here?

Hi Dave,

they are TR6 shells. The post was about similar bearings for TR4 etc

Of course the TR6 shells fit all the 6 pot deriv's

Ref the 'Cheap parts rule OK' a number of the suppliers are concerned that too many members are wanting cheap parts rather quality parts.

We are slowly getting the massage across to stock at least some quality alternatives (wheel bearings come to mind).

Roger

The reason I was on the hunt for quality OE type bearings was to do with the use mine gets put to Im afraid. I have no doubt for the majority who treat their cars gently then the run of the mill bearings available would be fine but I dont :ph34r:

Stuart.

They were always considered to be industry standard especially for high performance engines.

Stuart.