Crack in timing cover

I thought I had done a fair job with the engine rebuild but discovered an oil leak at the front when the engine gets hot. Finally tracked the source of the leak to be a crack in the top LHS of the timing cover that I didnt even notice. A very neat crack that looks like it has been cut with a hacksaw. I'm assuming the timing chain tensioner did this.

IMAG0098%202_zpssydkbxd2.jpg

I'm about half way through fixing it, there is a lot of stuff that has to come off to get to the timing cover.

IMAG0097%202_zpsqswmx8uo.jpg

I could probably have plugged the crack with JB weld but not sure how well that would have held up and what is another 5 hours in the grand scheme of things..

Stan

Yes, that is probably where the tip of a broken timing chain tensioner wore through.

I've seen that before - snot of MIG weld will fix it.

Peter W

Stan, I've got a few good covers although I'm sure welding will work also. Tom

Thanks Tom, I also had a selection of timing covers and chose this one because the pointer was smack on. I saw the indications on the inside that the cover was scored but stupidly assumed it had not gone all the way through the cover. All welded up now and just waiting for the paint to dry before I put it all back together.

Since I had the welder set up I also welded some nuts to the front wheel grease caps to make them easier to remove.

IMAG0103%201_zps9jacvbua.jpg

Stan

Thanks Tom, I also had a selection of timing covers and chose this one because the pointer was smack on. I saw the indications on the inside that the cover was scored but stupidly assumed it had not gone all the way through the cover. All welded up now and just waiting for the paint to dry before I put it all back together.

Since I had the welder set up I also welded some nuts to the front wheel grease caps to make them easier to remove.

IMAG0103%201_zps9jacvbua.jpg

Stan

Thats what I do too makes it so much easier to do wheel bearings!

Stuart.

You guys think of everything. Perhaps an example of "Law of the instrument"? Tom

Certainly an example of necessity being the mother of invention. I've lost count of the number of these grease caps that I have destroyed/deformed trying to get them off. WIth this mod you can just wind a bolt in and the cap pops off. I used a number 8 nut so the hole is no bigger than the original exit hole in the cap.

Stan

JB Weld is good stuff. About 12 years ago, I sealed a small crack in my radiator, where the inlet tube meets the body, and it hasn't wept since.

Make sure the area is thoroughly clean and free of oil, and allow at least 24 hours for it to set.

Ian Cornish