Fan Extension Rubbing on Cross Tube

Hi all.

I am currently away from home studying and planning a few tasks on my Dad's TR4A when I return. One of the problems I have just remembered and had forgotten to properly diagnose whilst at home was a rubbing/grinding of the fan extension (from the crank to the fan) on the cross tube (that connects the two suspension towers.

We have not gotten round to starting the engine as of yet but I recall there are wear marks on both the cross tube and the extension where the two have been rubbing during operation.

I am not able to show a picture of the problem but I will explain it using images shamelessly stolen from the Rimmer Bros website:

The part in the first image labelled (9) is grinding on the cross tube shown in the second image.

post-13088-0-68784000-1432499483_thumb.jpg
post-13088-0-41146800-1432499507_thumb.jpg
My only theory at the moment is that the engine mountings are rotten and have caused the engine to sag onto the cross tube, or that an incorrect part has been installed for the cross tube that has a different shape to the intended part.
If anyone could confirm this is the likely problem that would be great, or if you know of it being some other obscure ailment that would be much appreciated. As it sits I will order some new engine and gearbox mountings anyway to replace the current one.
Thanks, Sam.

Hi Sam,

almost certainly the front engine mounts.

Change them for Landrover items LandRover engine mounts - www.johnrichardssurplus.co.uk

Roger

PS - as Pete has subsequently pointed out the studs of the LR version are 8mm but they really are worth the trouble - and very reasonably priced.

PPS - As Stuart pointed it would be the steering rack outer tube. Unless you were in deep space and then it could be the cross tube.

Edited by RogerH

I would be very surprised if its rubbing on that tube. More likely it has dropped and is rubbing on the steering rack. FWIW The cross tube you are illustrating is a 6 cylinder one from a TR 5/6

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

Yes, as Stuart said, it will be rubbing on the rack as the cross tube is above the fan extension.

+1 for LR engine mounts. Part No ANR 1808 I think.

Graeme

Edited by graeme

I would be very surprised if its rubbing on that tube. More likely it has dropped and is rubbing on the steering rack. FWIW The cross tube you are illustrating is a 6 cylinder one from a TR 5/6

Stuart.

Hi Sam,

almost certainly the front engine mounts.

Change them for Landrover items LandRover engine mounts - www.johnrichardssurplus.co.uk

Roger

PS - as Pete has subsequently pointed out the studs of the LR version are 8mm but they really are worth the trouble - and very reasonably priced.

PPS - As Stuart pointed it would be the steering rack outer tube. Unless you were in deep space and then it could be the cross tube.

Thanks guys, I am sure you are right about it rubbing on the steering rack. My mistake!

I will go ahead and order some of the Land Rover mounts and fit them when I get back in 2 weeks!

Sam.