Broken H frame

Hi all,

I needed to remove the H frame earlier this year and I found that the passenger side leg was broken. I have just removed it from the car today and stripped it of its' covering and the pics show the extent of the damage.

I have a friend who is able to repair it so no problem there, but I was wondering what had caused such a break. There appears to be no fatigue or impact damage (I know unlikely). It has certainly happened in the 6 years I have owned the car as I had the gearbox out about 4 years ago and it was ok then.

Recovering will be a challenge so I may just polish the aluminium or paint it perhaps,although another friend is an upholsterer so may be able to help.

Also can the two holes below the radio aperture be opened out enough to fit cigar lighter type power sources?

I hope the pics work OK

Hi Clive,

why did it break? - the bottom is attached to the floor and the top attached to the dash - these are constantly moving (not a lot).

However the lump where the gear stick pops through is sprung upwards due tot he GB tunnel.

It may be that with the legs bolted down forcing against the tunnel and the top wiggling about found a weakness.

Vinyl and leather covers available. I believe the original PVC cover is also available for the original look.

If you use the two holes for power sockets how are you going to operate the air system for ventilation.

Roger

Hi Roger.

My thoughts exactly ! It isn't under any heavy tension as far as I can make out and as it fixes to the floor and not the chassis I would have though there was enough flexing for any normal road shocks to be absorbed.

I did manage to drive the car through a hedge a couple of years ago,but that only damaged the front valance,bumper and grill,the bonnet wings and all the lamps came through unscathed,indeed I drove the car home with all lighting intact and working not even a blown bulb,so I don't think that was the cause.

Not sure how the two outer holes would affect the air/ventilation system as they were covered with the vinyl/PVC covering,the centre hole being for the interior light switch.The vent flaps are controlled by a cable mounted higher on the dashboard on a 6.

Doh!!

I really shouldn't comment on TR6 queries.

On the 4A the left hole is for the water valve to the heater and the right hole is for the ;flap on the heater matrix.

The Moss cat shows the cables as per a 4A (I think)

http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=7410

Roger

Edited by RogerH

Hi Roger.

My thoughts exactly ! It isn't under any heavy tension as far as I can make out and as it fixes to the floor and not the chassis I would have though there was enough flexing for any normal road shocks to be absorbed.

I did manage to drive the car through a hedge a couple of years ago,but that only damaged the front valance,bumper and grill,the bonnet wings and all the lamps came through unscathed,indeed I drove the car home with all lighting intact and working not even a blown bulb,so I don't think that was the cause.

Not sure how the two outer holes would affect the air/ventilation system as they were covered with the vinyl/PVC covering,the centre hole being for the interior light switch.The vent flaps are controlled by a cable mounted higher on the dashboard on a 6.

Clive,

The bracket is bolted through the floor to the chassis. Did you have a passenger during the accident with hedge? It is possible the passenger hit the bracket with his knee and damaged it?

Cheers

Graeme

Graeme/Neil

Yes I did have a passenger,we were both quite OK, but she can't remember hitting her leg and I think the force needed to break the frame would have left a bruise at least,she would certainly have let me know (blamed!) if she had suffered in any way.

I suppose there could have been enough flexing of the Floor/Chassis to break it if there had been cracking there before I owned the car the car and the hedge fiasco took its toll.

Clive.

You can install a cigar lighter below the radio. See my picture. BTW, my H frame is painted crinkly black.

post-10567-0-98589300-1416761852_thumb.jpg

Clive.

You can install a cigar lighter below the radio. See my picture. BTW, my H frame is painted crinkly black.

Thanks for that Alan,I was hoping to put one either side to balance the look and for the added power supply,

Hi Roger

On a 6 the heater and vent controls are on a plinth above the radio aperture.Three knobs operate the temperature,direction i.e. floor or screen and the third works the two speed (ha.ha!) fan.The holes in the H frame are redundant,but the casting was presumably the same as the earlier models, with a centre hole (on my car at least) fitted with a pull switch for the interior lights in the footwells. I wondered if there was anything to obstruct the cigar lighter fitting before I went ahead and purchased them but it would seem not to be the case so I will obtain a couple of them,Hella I think,a bit dearer but quite a bit shorter and illuminated then the cheaper ones I've looked at.