what wheels for TR3A road use

suspensions nearly sorted now dont know if I should buy the neg camber kit from revvemup motors, any one done it? if so was it worth it.

wheels are the next question, I would like wires with knock ons but what size is best, have seen TR6 wheels on TR3A's but even with rack and pinion, is heavier steering worth the "better"

roadholding? could those who have been there before me let me know the right way to go please.

regards

Peter Fenlon

Revington set up well worth while. I have it on my 3a.

I also put 72 spoke wires onto it. These are a far stronger wheel than either 48 or even 60 spoke wires. The steering is not in the least bit heavy, even at low speed.

You will have to think about rolling over the edges of the rear wings and also think about what to do about the spare wheel.

This has been discussed on this forum very recently. This link will take you to the thread.

Spare wheel thread

My car is great to drive on road or track. It handles far better than any sidesceen car with standard suspension, steering, wheels and tyres.

Modifications are well worth while.

p.s you will need to change your upper suspension arms, to TR4 type, to fit the Revington kit. I have a spare set, all powdercoated, for sale. See my Garage clearance thread.

Garage clearance thread

Regards

David

I also put 72 spoke wires onto it. These are a far stronger wheel than either 48 or even 60 spoke wires. The steering is not in the least bit heavy, even at low speed.

You will have to think about rolling over the edges of the rear wings and also think about what to do about the spare wheel.

This has been discussed on this forum very recently. This link will take you to the thread.

Spare wheel thread

My car is great to drive on road or track. It handles far better than any sidesceen car with standard suspension, steering, wheels and tyres.

p.s you will need to change your upper suspension arms, to TR4 type, to fit the Revington kit. I have a spare set, all powdercoated, for sale. See my Garage clearance thread.

Garage clearance thread

Regards

David

Peter, that's a good choice. I have the Revington kit on my 3 plus their rack and pinion steering, the car drives great and is very stable in straight line. If you go for 72 spoke wires think about interlaced wheels, look great on a 3 :)

Peter, that's a good choice. I have the Revington kit on my 3 plus their rack and pinion steering, the car drives great and is very stable in straight line. If you go for 72 spoke wires think about interlaced wheels, look great on a 3 :)

Hello Jean,

thanks for the info72 spoke wires are recommended what is the difference between the ordinary spoked wheel and the interlaced ones you suggest look great.

regards

peter fenlon

As unsprung weight is a big factor in roadholding and comfort have you compared the wieght of the wire wheel and adapter + spinner with a standard steel wheel.

I did and became convinced that original steel wheels were the choice for me. Lighter and easier to clean and reaquire no maintenance.

TR6 wheels fit a TR3 as you see on cars at the international. The wings may need the lips tuning up.

The choice is yours !

John

Spare wheel thread

Garage clearance threadthanks david I have tr4 arms already but thanks for the offer

Regards

David

As unsprung weight is a big factor in roadholding and comfort have you compared the wieght of the wire wheel and adapter + spinner with a standard steel wheel.

I did and became convinced that original steel wheels were the choice for me. Lighter and easier to clean and reaquire no maintenance.

TR6 wheels fit a TR3 as you see on cars at the international. The wings may need the lips tuning up.

The choice is yours !

John

Yes your right John,

I will go for the centrelaced wires despite the weight, just because they look good, I will probably regret it first time I clean them!.

regards

Peter

Peter, interlaced/centrelaced wheels have a different offset so they give a slightly wider track.

Hello Jean,

thank you for the picture, I had a message from a member quite near to me, we met today and he has a set of these wheels for sale, I am to buy them from him tomorrow, I must say

he was a mine of information and may be able to help me with some other small bits I need, the Forum has worked for me very well.

regards

Peter

Peter,

That's good news.

Don't forget to consider the flanges on the rear wings.

Regards

David

David,

my pal in Wales wants to put a wire around the wheel arch 4mm diameter and fold the lip over the wire, I agree with him when he says it will be a better job, but will this still allow

clearance?

your thoughts would be welcome

regards

Peter

Peter,

I don't know!

My TR3a has wired rear wings but I cannot remember what diameter wire. It also has different wheels to yours as I have 72 spoke wires.

Sorry I can't post something more helpful.

Hopefully, Jean should be able to provide some more helpful information.

Regards

David