CP387 Back on the road

A major milestone for me - CP387 passed its MOT yesterday and is now offiically and legally back on the road.

I bought this car as a running project (with no MOT) in the summer of 2000 I did get an MOT for the car that year but that winter I started a small, progressive restoration which then grew arms and legs and ended up as a major body off restoration involving major chassis and body repairs.

Many times I nearly gave up, lost enthusiasm - made mistakes - plenty of them. Bought **** reproduction parts and then ended up repairing the old panels (rear valance especially). much money spent - but we wont go into that.

I found the Roger Williams restoration book a great reference book.

I have carried out all the work myself (apart from the final painting). Doing the work myself was very time consuming but also a challenge and ultimately very satisfying.

Her indoors suggested many times that maybe I should take my bed into the garage - An option that I tactfully declined however I do find the garage quite homely.

Anyway all that is behind me now, my valencia blue TR5 is back on the road just a few gremlins to shake out.

I am hoping to take it down to the international this year .

To all the other amateur restorers out there - keep going - It is worth it in the end.

regards Graham

Congratulations Graham. I remember the feeling after my TR6 passed it MOT following a 3 1/2 year restoration.The wife nearly did put my bed in the garage but all smiles now.

Well done Phil

Hi Graham,

Well done and congratulations. I hope to be joining you soon I am about 4 weeks off engine start with Elsie, but a couple of months before MoT the forst it will have had since 1980.

Hope you dont have too many problems

Best wishes

Hi Graham

Glad to learn that you have managed to get it 'finished' - though I expect there are a few odd jobs to draw a line under the resto(?)

Sadly I shall be away working at the time of the International so regrettably cannot attend - again! :(

Best regards

post-3157-1177078321_thumb.jpg

Well done Graham!!!

Don't suppose you could post some piccies for us to admire and drool over?

Regards

Peter

Peter,

See attached some photos - Had a bit of difficultly trying to reduce the size of the files Hopefully I have inserted the files OK.

Planning to be out for another test run this weekend.

post-3157-1177078299_thumb.jpg

regards Graham

post-3157-1177078299_thumb.jpg

Well done Graham.I know full well all the frustrations that you have been through ie.. **** repros and such like and as you have stated,the end finish is so,soooo,satisfying.I always encourage members to keep going as the grin facter never leaves you when you are driving your baby.Look forward to seeing her,maybe Brooklands?.

Regards Harry TR5 Nutter.

Graham, you did a great job, the car looks fantastic. Restoring a car over years with all the ups and down is like bringing up a child, it gives you a tremendous pleasure later on and allows for many hours to remember and talk about :)

Graham

Your car looks fantastic - you must be very proud!

I have to say that Valencia really suits the car, and I can't understand why Triumph didn't offer it on other TRs.

Regards

Peter

TR4 (but has aspirations to also be a TR5 nutter!)