Jigsaw TRR/TSSC Race Championship

All,

Just had a look at the excellent gallery of Mallory Track Day pics at Performace Art's website - are they yours, Jonathan Ellis?

See: http://80.176.91.142/performanceart.php

Two conspicuous there but who will not be at Silverstone - No.85 Malcom Chapman and No.17, Craig Jepson.

Keeping your powder dry, guys, or just shy?

And even more that were in full race warpaint, but are unknown to the Jigsaw TSSC/TRR Championship!

Nos. 6 (NOT Steve Crane, but a blue TR?5), 10, 45 and 74.

All TRs.

Who they? Where they race? What stops four keen TR racers coming out in their own Club Championship?

Come on guys!

With only 13 in the Silverstone grid, that is now shunted into the Jag's race and only another seven races to go, we will need even bigger grids for those races to achieve the 16/grid that the MSA demands, or the Championship folds.

John

Thank you, Alec, for the PR job!

Anyone who wants a definite rendezvous, come to garage 7A, where the Spitfire Aces will being residence.

John

Edited by john.r.davies
Thank you, Alec, for the PR job!

Anyone who wants a definite rendezvous, come to garage 7A, where the Spitfire Aces will being residence.

John

You seem to have gone all up-market John. Garage indeed :P The rest of us will probably be shivering elsewhere in the paddock. The Triumphs usually manage to form a <what is the collective term for Trumph racers?> somewhere all together.

Anyone who wants to come along will be most welcome to wander over and talk about Triumphs. Currently we're practicing at 0945 and we're first race after lunch so 1pm if we run to the published timetable.

Shivering is right, mik. I've been at Silverstone this time of year before!

The wind cuts across the Midlands straight from Russia.

I thought I'd really done the Right Thing when the weather forecast was for rain and so on, but it looks a bit better now.

Roll on Summer!

In case anyone isn't aware, details of the Jigsaw TRR/TSSC are to be found on http://www.racing-triumphs.co.uk/

Triumph owners and drivers are most welcome at every meeting.

John

Edited by john.r.davies

Alec, All,

Good evening, this is the Racing Report, with news of fresh disasters.

In fact, I'm glad to say, there were no disasters, certainly not of the magnitude suffered at Mallory, and even there Hugh Maund turned out in an immaculate TR8, that looked as if nothing had happened!

There was a worryingly low entry. That only six TR7/8s, a TR4 (another addition to the Hadfield Collection!) and six Spitfires attended, making three short of the average of 16 that will need to maintain our 'Championship' status, has to be regrettable when there were another four racing Triumphs at Mallory who did not appear at Silverstone. As the vicar always says, "Hope to see you next weekend!"

Thanks to this situation, we were bundled with the Jaguar XKs, which are able to give a run for TR7/8 money but are rather overwhelming from the seat of a Spitfire. Worse, IMHO, they were to start AFTER us. Qualifying was a hodgepodge anyway, but in bright sunshine and stiff breeze, that gave some remarkable and worrying eddies off the bridges on Club Straight, we learnt to live together. There were a few who dropped by the wayside, but all managed to achieve at least 11 laps, and no one was unable to start the race, which I have to say is a compliment to both marques for a first race of the season.

And please forgive me - I am never a front runner, and had been given the priviledge of driving a friend's car while my own is revised after pre-season testing, so I was not up at the front where there were a number of thrilling dices. As expected, half a lap after the start, the Jags were all over me like smallpox, and after that I circulated without troubling the leaders very much. That at the finish there was Malcom Chapman in first place (He WAS keeping his powder dry! See my first post!) with Martyn Adams a quarter of a second behind shows the quality of the racing. The first Spitfire was driven by Simon Congdon, the Shumacher if only in age of our series, leading Andy Vowell, the knarly Patrese, by three quarters of a second, so there was a thrilling race too.

Next meeting will be at Oulton Park on the 19th May - see the Racing Triumphs website for the full programme: http://www.racing-triumphs.co.uk/ .

Like the vicar I will hope for a fuller congregation, but you will have to do without your humble scribe, as we will be at Zandvoort - anyone else going FISCing, this summer?

Keep on the black stuff,

John

• 3 weeks later...
All,

Just had a look at the excellent gallery of Mallory Track Day pics at Performace Art's website - are they yours, Jonathan Ellis?

See: http://80.176.91.142/performanceart.php

John

yep twas me having fun from the back of the grid - in the 6 (first time out in 3+ years) and first time in fully modded spec.

In the www.thoroughbredsportscar.com race. Next at Brand on 6th May. Car still heavy and so much to adjust and get used to but it will be faster still very soon - more RR time and shorter final drive - still had fastest lap!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4818720917267585712 - Enjoy ;)

Nice one, jellison!

What happened in qualifying - problems or were you just sandbagging?

Four places in the first lap!

Glad to hear that I'm not alone with wind noise on a video.

I got stick elsewhere for blanking the sound track out and using some music.

See, from the Silverstone race: http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=...six+silverstone

John

Nice one, jellison!

What happened in qualifying - problems or were you just sandbagging?

Four places in the first lap!

Glad to hear that I'm not alone with wind noise on a video.

I got stick elsewhere for blanking the sound track out and using some music.

See, from the Silverstone race: http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=...six+silverstone

John

Ha you are good at that Sound overdubbing stuff - Top Job.

It is worse in the 4 - no screen! Got git direct in the lense half way through a race last year!

No I cohose to start at the back Very unsure of the brake - hitthe wall lightly in pratice (all trick bias stuff and MONSTER brakes - still not happy - will take a few races to dial inthe bias. And clutch is just terrible of the line (more revs / shorter diff will hep) - but did not want to get in anyones way - and wanted to have some fun - everything on car is new. Might have given mike h a run at the front but I do not think car is ready to take him on for a race distance just yet (should be fine for next one though).

Good luck to all in there racing this year.

Love the videos!!

On the sound, can you use a remote microphone located down by the g/b tunnel somewhere that would pick up the engine sounds but not the wind. Most decent video cameras have a socket for a remote mic.

Graeme

Love the videos!!

On the sound, can you use a remote microphone located down by the g/b tunnel somewhere that would pick up the engine sounds but not the wind. Most decent video cameras have a socket for a remote mic.

Graeme

Not sure mine can - maybe - but not going to be high on list of things to do in busy race day.

You mean like this! Mine this one does not move - does sound a bit good though...........

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-346233984350591650 fun at Mallory a few months back on an EVO / TVR Power day when they had there 3 new SC RV8 cars there hohohoho ;)

WHAT THE F*&K IS THAT........................... is what they were saying (could not hear them over the exhuast! - no noise day!)