Hi All,

I have got hold of a Maplight, which is in excellent condition. I saw a photo of one of these installed in a six in the usual position for the choke ( on the net).

Do you think it has a purpose in a six , and if so where? as i think they were an option on the Spitfire (not sure though).

Your thoughts welcomed

Regards

Guy

Many times have I lamented the pathetic interior lighting (what lights?) in the TR - there's are not enough to find your glasses by !!!!!

I have a feeling the TR was only to be driven at night in an emergency :lol:

The light looks appropriate for the era, but for my 2 cents worth, I would not put the light on the dash area at all - I think it would be a visual blot on the landscape and I'm not sure how practical it would be below the dash centre crash pad.

To help with the practicalities of night driving,I managed to get a smart NOS 1970's Volvo (Bosch) maplight on a flexible metal stalk and had every intention of mounting it under the glovebox dash area, out of sight until needed,......then I bought a rechargeable LED torch which is re-charged by a small integrated crank-handle. It's great for under the bonnet, in wheel arches and inside the cabin - kept in the boot or glovebox.

When travelling down the A25 in the pitch black last Wednesday evening, with nowt but sidescreens, in Andrew Smiths TRK 639 at 60 mph (thereabouts) looking for the turning for Abinger Common. His map light proved very useful for reading a map (strange that) to help us find our way. Even if one had to keep it at a certain angle and hold the wire in place with a finger to keep it working.

Definately a bonus when mapreading your way to remote hostelries in unfamiliar territory. Besides, sat vav just looks so out of place in a TR!

Tony

When travelling down the A25 in the pitch black last Wednesday evening, with nowt but sidescreens, in Andrew Smiths TRK 639 at 60 mph (thereabouts) looking for the turning for Abinger Common.

Baldric, I think you mean "aeroscreens" - still a TR virgin I see! ;)

By the way, my map light was fitted in the mid sixties and is a Lucus (I think?) period fitment so that probably explains why the wire needs to be held to make it work. :(

Here's the little beauty:

Cheers

Andrew

PS, Baldric's reference to "60 mph (thereabouts)" bears testimony that my panel lights don't work; well, they did the last time used them but smoke came out from under the dash so I haven't used them since - must get round to fixing that little aspect!!

Edited by Andrew Smith

Hi Guy,

My 4A came with one of these already fitted, and for the most part you wouldn't know it was there, it's on the extreem left hand side of the dash and when not in use lies along the passenger crash pad just below the cubby box lid and to the left of the grabhandle....... in this position it was v. usefull for map reading until it was made redundent by SatNav!! now it just lights up those midnight cups of coffee on the long journeys!!

Cheers Rob

Hi Guy,

My 4A came with one of these already fitted, and for the most part you wouldn't know it was there, it's on the extreem left hand side of the dash and when not in use lies along the passenger crash pad just below the cubby box lid and to the left of the grabhandle....... in this position it was v. usefull for map reading until it was made redundent by SatNav!! now it just lights up those midnight cups of coffee on the long journeys!!

Cheers Rob

Thanks for that Rob,

I agree about sat nav, mobile units are very usefull as they dont need to be perminently fitted.

I picture of you maplight would be great if you could.

Regards

Guy

Thanks for that Rob,

I agree about sat nav, mobile units are very usefull as they dont need to be perminently fitted.

I picture of you maplight would be great if you could.

Regards

Guy

Hi Guy,

Well, I'm looking at a picture taken of the map light just now, however I must confess that I haven't a clue how to post it on the web site!! knowing my rate of progress with these computa thingies, even with the tutorial, I reckon it would be quicker to send a print to you by snail mail!!!...............errrm??!!......... Help!!

Rob

Rob

If you wish you can email it to me and I'll post it on your behalf: andrew_s@ntlworld.com

Cheers

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Er, thanks for that .......... now I've got to see if I can work out how to send it by email!!..... don't hold your breath!!........I mean I got confused with the ZX Spectrum and it's been downhill ever since... now if I could MIG weld it to the screen or stand it on a Pi metering unit dismantled for cleaning .. no problem, but these silicon chip brains do my head in!!

I'll see if I can get something to you this evening.

Cheers, Rob

Hi Andrew,

Er, thanks for that .......... now I've got to see if I can work out how to send it by email!!..... don't hold your breath!!........I mean I got confused with the ZX Spectrum and it's been downhill ever since... now if I could MIG weld it to the screen or stand it on a Pi metering unit dismantled for cleaning .. no problem, but these silicon chip brains do my head in!!

I'll see if I can get something to you this evening.

Cheers, Rob

Rob and Andrew,

Thanks for trying to sort out photo, but please dont go to any trouble, i know how frustrating computers can be sometimes.

Cheers

Guy

Thanks Rob and Andrew or should i say Anney. :lol: Photos very helpful

Orange is not your colour and thanks again until your next challenge !!

Which may be soon.

Oh yeah how is it switched.?

Regards

Guy

Edited by Jersey Royal
Thanks Rob and Andrew or should i say Anney. :lol: Photos very helpful

Orange is not your colour and thanks again until your next challenge !!

Which may be soon.

Oh yeah how is it switched.?

Regards

Guy

I guess yours will be the same, when my one is in the position pictured it's off, it switches on as you move it outwards(internal switch)and is wired to the dash lights...... Rob

I guess yours will be the same, when my one is in the position pictured it's off, it switches on as you move it outwards(internal switch)and is wired to the dash lights...... Rob

well thats very interesting, so it must earth itself as it moves outwards, and hey presto we have light.

Cheers Rob

Technical?

Complicated yes, but never technical Andrew!

Rob. :lol:

PS. I find an LED handlamp in the glove box is a very simple alternative, coupled with rheostat replacing fag lighter powered sat-nav.