sound proofing

hi guys,

On the rear floor between the wheel arches there appears to be what I think is called (I think ) a Sound Deadening Panel, it appears to be made from a bitumen product with perforated holes in it, and painted, during my inspection with a screw driver a large chunk broke away by the wheal arch to show a lovely red oxide painted panel :rolleyes: , my question is do I remove the sound panel and replace it so I can paint underneath carry out a repair and re-paint over the top of the existing and with what do I remove it with is there a better product to replace it with. (It apers to be very brittle)

the same material appears to be in the boot adjacent to the rear wheel arches it appears to be chipped is this the same? easy to replace?

Can any one suggest a chemical that will remove all the glue and **** on the floor before I repaint

Thanks Pinky

Hi Pinky , when I restored my 6 I had to remove this stuff , I found to my cost that if heat is applied it turns to a horrible sticky goo. I would imagine chemicals do the same . I used an old wide flat bladed screwdriver and it chipped off in big chunks , time consuming but worked well . You can get new stuff from Woollies ( the car trimmers not the high street store) for pennies .

Pinky

I used a heat gun to remove mine but didn’t have a problem with it melting like Scotty; perhaps he got it too hot! It came off very easy using a stiff scraper to peel it away, mostly in whole sheets & I kept all the old bits to use as a pattern to make the new ones.

The stuff in the boot is the same. It’s only brittle when it gets old & is cold & I replaced mine with the same; can’t remember where I got it from now but I think it was Moss. It comes in a self adhesive sheet large enough to do a whole car, doesn’t cost much & is as good as any alternative you might think about using. Cut it to shape using a Stanley knife but keep the blade dipped in white spirit - stops it sticking. Tip; take some photographs of each area as well so you have a record of what bit goes where. I have some pics. if that doesn’t work out for you.

I had my body tub blasted & zinc chromate primed so didn’t worry too much about all the glue & **** but cellulose thinners (if you can still get it!) will melt contact adhesive so you can sort of wipe it off; very messy though as it will probably melt the paint & seam sealer as well!

I don't want to be called a smart a**, but where to is the heat going that's being absorbed :( reflecting heat from the bonnet is a strange argument I would say the the bonnet is transferring the heat to the outside, except in Arizona and New Mexico where it's warmer outside than under the bonnet :D

Rien ne se crée, rien ne se perd, l' univers reste toujours constant

I don't want to be called a smart a**, but where to is the heat going that's being absorbed :( reflecting heat from the bonnet is a strange argument I would say the the bonnet is transferring the heat to the outside, except in Arizona and New Mexico where it's warmer outside than under the bonnet :D

Rien ne se crée, rien ne se perd, l' univers reste toujours constant

It certainly won’t do much to prevent fuel vaporisation in the injector lines!

Come on then save me looking it up, what does it mean? But in my defense I can still count to 100 in French, even after 45 years!

Edited by Richard Crawley

Richard I was thinking about what is written on the add promoting the damping material. I have no objection against damping, but if I remember well, it also says that it is not reflecting heat back to the manifold, but it is absorbing the heat and preventing the bonnet paint to deteriorate . In this case I asked myself what is happening to the absorbed heat, it can't vanish, so where is it going. This brings me to the french text I learned at school, oh yes that's more than 40 years ago, It must have been said by a greek scientist or someone else and it should also exist in english. The translation should read. " Nothing is created and nothing will ever be lost, the universe is always constant" :)

Oh yes Tony, I like black holes and one day we will all be absobed by one, including the bonnet heat, now it's my turn :P:P

it also says that it is not reflecting heat back to the manifold, but it is absorbing the heat and preventing the bonnet paint to deteriorate . In this case I asked myself what is happening to the absorbed heat, it can't vanish, so where is it going.

I think you will find that it absorbs and dissipates the heat way more efficiently than any metal would!

its similar to asbestos, if you put a flame thrower on one side,you can hardly feel the heat on the other!

Ive convinced myself :P

I am going to get a set, and will see if I can get enough thrown in to do the bootlid triangles to tidy that area up as well, I have just finished fully carpeting the boot like oilys car, ive just got to get the edges trimmed to finish off.

Still got to sort out the respray :huh::(

gotta get my finger out for malvern!! :unsure:

What your describing is not heat absorbtion, if it absorbes heat it will get hot!

Not Necessarily!! It does not reflect it! and it does not transmit it on the other side!,so it must absorb and dissipate it in its inner surface area! unless you can enlighten us all with what the technical term for it is. :huh:

It causes the heat to thermalize! 'verb' 'basic physics' "to cause to undergo a process of thermalization,which slows the excited neutrons that create the heat,thus causing a decrease in temperature"

Just had a dictionary for brekky :P

Thermalisation, a rather complicated & interesting science; the process of particles reaching thermal equilibrium through mutual interaction. When a molecule absorbs energy, as in the technique of molecular fluorescence, the lifetime of the excited state is ~10-¹² sec. Then it rapidly loses energy to the lowest level of the lowest excited state.

There are some wonderful materials around today but I’m very sceptical about just how much under bonnet heat energy ¼” of closed cell Nitrile Vynyl can dissipate within its molecular structure; nice looking product but I think someone may be pulling something!