Mounting body to chassis

I now have my chassis back after having had it rejigged and previous poor repair work remedied, I am presently refitting (prior to repainting the chassis) the front and rear suspension to ensure everything fits. Then I intend to trial fit the body and Guards etc (also prior to painting) to lookat the appropriate gaps, and tidy them up.

I am waiting on a new body fitting kit to arrive, before dropping on the body, but I want to know is, what is the normal packing/spacer requirments at each mounting point?. ie is there a normal or correct number of packing pieces that sit at the front. middle and rear mounting points. or is it simply a case of if the panel gaps etc, are all looking good you just pack out with the spacers as required, to take into account the individual body differences.?

JIm - It's a matter of trial and error. For starters, put one pad in for the 2 way up front, and the two at the rear. I'd start with 2 square pads for each of the outriggers. When you think you have them all perfect, tighten down on all the bolts and watch your gaps get all screwy. Then re-adjust them one at a time till you feel it's right. With the front wings on, watch the door gap at the "A" posts. Also the gap along the bottom of the doors. But to get another pad into the space, you have to loosen all the bolts on that side or end of the car, then re-tighten them all again. Good luck. It can be done. Don't get frustrated. It'll look perfect when you're finished.

Thanks don

I wondered whether it would be a trial and error process. since first posting I have dropped the shell onto the chassis so its just sitting there (still with the internal bracing I put in when i lifted it off). the screwy part now is that its sitting on the middle floor pan outrigger mounts but the front and rear are up off there respective mounting points. In the front its well off the mounting points the rear by a spacer width. Ive put both doors on and the gaps look perfect, I havn't yet put any of the guards on. Does all this sound good or bad??? or normal.

Jim,

I would suggest following the original parts manual which, for example, shows 4 rubber pads at each outrigger, etc. This gives a reasonable amount of scope for adjustment by removing one or two from some outriggers and adding to others. However, I'm not sure whether one should aim for minimal packing, or keep close to the original spec to allow for chassis/body flexing.

The Moss catalogue has similar information and the kit should contain the appropriate number of pieces, including the aluminium packing pieces, washers and long cruciform strips. See: Moss body mounting parts

Edited by BrianC

Thanks Brian, I have a moss fitting kit on the way so once I see that and get all the guards in place then i'll have a better idea how everything fits. Cheers