TR4/4A Thermostat Housings

Has anyone recently replaced their housing with a 'new' item?

A few months ago, when putting in a 'winter' thermostat, I decided it would be prudent in the long term to replace my original housing which is now showing its age after 250k miles! I bought a replacement from a supplier who in my book has a good name for quality of spares, but when I fitted it, coolant seeped out round the head of the nearside of the two bolts with which the housing attaches to the head.

I refitted it thinking that the gasket etc must be dodgy and the same thing happened! So, on to the supplier for a replacement housing which when fitted produced exactly the same result! It would seem the castings were faulty so I returned them both and refitted my original which certainly doesn't have this problem.

Speaking recently to the same supplier, it was suggested that all was now OK so I bought another housing and when I fitted it yesterday up came the coolant round the bolt head!

I am given to understand that the largest supplier in the UK uses the same source for their housings, so I'm wondering where the hell I go next - there's also the point that whilst not a difficult job it does get pretty bloody boring and I don't want to spend the rest of my life fitting/unfitting housings!

Any up to date experience/ advice on sources would be much appreciated.

Geoff Keeble

Geoff probably best to either stick with the one you have or if it has corroded too much to go on with look for a good original one at any of the spares days. You are experiencing the same sort of thing I as a restorer am confronted with quite often ie poor quality repro bits. Not all parts are bad but quite often I wonder why some parts are as bad as they are when its a service item that the suppliers shift a lot of. I have got used to it over the years and quite often liase with the suppliers on a regular basis to try and improve the quality but price is usually the governing factor unfortunately.Try a round of the other suppliers and see if any of them buy from a different source.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

Geoff

I've got a spare OE one that will polish up ok and the surfaces look good.

I bought it some time back on eBay for about £15 (better than paying £60+ for repro!), let me know if you want it and I'll either post if off or bring to the Abinger Hatch or Barley Mow - I'll accept a couple of pints and a bag of nuts for it!!

Cheers

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Smith
Geoff probably best to either stick with the one you have or if it has corroded too much to go on with look for a good original one at any of the spares days. You are experiencing the same sort of thing I as a restorer am confronted with quite often ie poor quality repro bits. Not all parts are bad but quite often I wonder why some parts are as bad as they are when its a service item that the suppliers shift a lot of. I have got used to it over the years and quite often liase with the suppliers on a regular basis to try and improve the quality but price is usually the governing factor unfortunately.Try a round of the other suppliers and see if any of them buy from a different source.

Stuart.

Stuart - Sorry about delay in replying, not due to lack of interest but have been busy today getting very wet at Goodwood(me and the car!). I appreciate your thoughts - it seems however that Andrew may have come to my rescue, so hopefully I shan't have to do the rounds of the other suppliers asking " do you obtain your housings from the same source as......?

Many thanks.

Geoff

Geoff

I've got a spare OE one that will polish up ok and the surfaces look good.

I bought it some time back on eBay for about £15 (better than paying £60+ for repro!), let me know if you want it and I'll either post if off or bring to the Abinger Hatch or Barley Mow - I'll accept a couple of pints and a bag of nuts for it!!

Cheers

Andrew

Andrew,

Many thanks, would very much like to have a look at it, let me know when you are at the Hatch or the Mow.

Two pints AND a bag of nuts - it must be a good one!!

Cheers,

Geoff

• 3 weeks later...

You could use the silicone bathroom sealant (normally used round joint between the top of the bath and the tiles). Squirt some down the holes in the casting and coat each bolt before pushing them in and bolting. You would need to wait 24 hours for the stuff to cure, but it should be capable of coping with the 7 lb/square inch pressure.

Ian

You could use the silicone bathroom sealant

Meanwhile they have invented silicone liquid gaskets for cars that is more resistant to heat and pressure than bathroom stuff....and it does dry faster.