Speedo Cable

The speedo of my 6 stopped working within 38 miles of my owning it. I know that the cable had just been replaced before I bought it. I suspect the cable has broken as after taking the cable off the speedo end, I can pull out the inner.

I have read that there are lots of poor quality parts out there. Can anyone recommend a source of a good quality speedo cable?

Many thanks

Nick

Nick

You can normally pull out a speedo inner when you disconnect it from the speedo, check whether the square that fits into the small right angled gearbox is still on the end of the cable, if it is you will need to look further for the cause of the problem, if it isn't you will need to fish the broken bit out.

Ron

I suspect the cable has broken as after taking the cable off the speedo end, I can pull out the inner.

It's quiet normal to be able to remove the inner cable as you describe so it's not necessarily broken. Check the Speedo actually works by revolving the inner cable & revolving it in the back of the unit; also the nylon collar is not positioned far down enough at the top of the cable which prevents it engaging properly. The problem may be due to poor quality of the square ends on the inner cable, as one of mine was, & I ended up using an original inner cable with a new outer cable but, I guess, that’s maybe not an option for you. It may also be a faulty angle drive & there has been a similar post recently. After trying several new cables, I was unable to get one any better so resorted to using the old inner but that was 3 years ago & the situation may have changed.

It's quiet normal to be able to remove the inner cable as you describe so it's not necessarily broken. Check the Speedo actually works by revolving the inner cable & revolving it in the back of the unit; also the nylon collar is not positioned far down enough at the top of the cable which prevents it engaging properly. The problem may be due to poor quality of the square ends on the inner cable, as one of mine was, & I ended up using an original inner cable with a new outer cable but, I guess, that’s maybe not an option for you. It may also be a faulty angle drive & there has been a similar post recently. After trying several new cables, I was unable to get one any better so resorted to using the old inner but that was 3 years ago & the situation may have changed.

HI Nick,

i had recent problem with speedo cable, it ended up being the angle drive which is on the right side of gearbox under the tunnel.

to cut long story short i ended up fitting new angle drive from rimmer, all ok now. Some recon that you can simply remove old drive and fit directly to gearbox, however you will need longer cable and i found that using cable only it seems to be too tight a bend on the cable.

One point though i would as Richard suggests is to test your existing cable when connected to speedo, just connect a drill to the square end that would have gone into the angle drive and turn on.

Regrds Guy

HI Nick,

i had recent problem with speedo cable, it ended up being the angle drive which is on the right side of gearbox under the tunnel.

to cut long story short i ended up fitting new angle drive from rimmer, all ok now. Some recon that you can simply remove old drive and fit directly to gearbox, however you will need longer cable and i found that using cable only it seems to be too tight a bend on the cable.

One point though i would as Richard suggests is to test your existing cable when connected to speedo, just connect a drill to the square end that would have gone into the angle drive and turn on.

Regrds Guy

This happened to me just stopped, I put my hand up on the back of the spedo and got a couple of more turns on the nurled nut problem solved, worth a try

This happened to me just stopped, I put my hand up on the back of the spedo and got a couple of more turns on the nurled nut problem solved, worth a try

I've tried that a both ends but with no joy. The cable isn't turning at the speedo end. Further investigation is required. Thanks for all the suggestions

Nick

Nick,

A very common problem on the speedo's is the speedometer itself gets gunked up with oil/grease etc. When you test the speedo with a drill all seems ok so you put in the new cable and drive off and all is ok for a few or a few hundred miles then all of a sudden the speedo stops working again. upon investigation the square drive at the gearbox end of the cable is snapped off ! Fr&"ggin repro cables are no good swearing etc. The actual problem is the drag disk in the speedo itself catches and stops turning momentarelly. This causes the cable to break. Hard to diagnose and after 2 or 3 new speedo cables very annoying. the only solution is to have the speedo refirbished cleaned to remove the cause of the problem. May not be your problem but if you have been through a couple of cables with the same result worth checking out

cheers

Alan

Thanks again for the advice. I finally found some time to look at it this morning. The cable is broken about 2 inches from the gearbox square end. I think the curve on the cable was too tight. When refitting I shall try and get a shallower bend without getting the cable so close the to exhaust that the cable is cooked!

Nick

If the cable follows the correct route, there should be no tight turns at all. I assume you do have an angle drive fitted? If not, that’s your problem! To hold the cable away from the exhaust, there should be a couple of steel cable clips fixed onto the return edge of the floor pan, these hold the cable tight against the edge of the floor pan before it dives up into the engine bay & through the bulkhead.

Richard

Ah, so that's the route it should take. I have mine routed thtough a large "P" clip which is under the head of the forward bolt holding the gearbox cover onto the top of the box. Well away from the exhaust.

Regards

Tim