Sport exhausts

I am ready to replace the exhuast system on my 1970 carburetted tr6 and was thinking of installing a sport exhaust , mainly for the few extra horse power and with thoughts of fast road cams in the future. Does anyone have experience of these? How does the car sound after, like a TR6 or a boy racer?

Thanks

Andy

I bought the Monza sports exhaust for my 69 TR. A couple of things worth knowing.

The engine was reworked, new skimmed head, 9.5 comp ratio, reground cam, overbored. The early carb pistons were exchanged for later ones that have adjustable needles and the jets were lowered to get rid of the awful lean mixture condition that these carbs were set up with.

No dyno run, but the engine rebuilder is quite confident that it puts out 140-150hp. With the US spec'd differential this thing takes off like a scalded cat, due to the low gearing.

The single down pipe version does not have primary silencers, like that shown in the moss catalogue. It only has the two large secondary silencers at the tail pipe. The silencers themselves were not welded level so that one set of tail pipes was angled up higher than the other one, so i had to cut the pipe just before the silencer and bend it down and reweld. With this set up straight out of the box it is LOUD but it sounds glorious! ther is a bit of cackle on overrun but it deep throated. Starting the car in an enclosed garage was an exercise in restraint as it sounded so good, it was tempting to blip it all the time. On a long journey the noise it tiresome.

I installed a Cherry Bomb just alonside the gearbox which has mellowed the sound, it still sounds deep and throaty but it has taken some of the higher frequency blatt out of the exhaust. If you have the twin down pipe this shouldn't be an issue.

If you need anything else I would be glad to help.

Hi Andy,

I've had the stock single-pipe, stainless stock single-pipe, Falcon dual pipe sports type, and Phoenix single bore sports type. Except for the pure stock type all have been used with uprated cams and triple Webers on my cars, and the stainless stock version I've used on both std and modified engines. I've sold the Falcon dual sports system as it defies the conventional wisdom by splitting the exhaust, a move found decades ago by Kastner to cost significant HP. The stainless stock version I keep hanging in the garage as it's in fine shape and may yet serve on a 3rd car someday...

Unless you want to change the sound ( i.e. more noise ) I wouldn't bother changing the exhaust on a stock carb TR6, unless going to the stainless version. It will not sound like original and won't give significant power increase. The sound of a stock carb TR250/6 is classic - very refined and dignified ( and I admit I miss it sometimes ).

On the other hand, with the right mods the Phoenix single-bore with proper tubular header will give real satisfaction, and the sound is lovely in its own right :rolleyes: Phoenix now seem to offer a twin-pipe silencer for the single-bore system which I'll be adding to my list shortly for use on my current project ;)

Hi Andy,

I've had the stock single-pipe, stainless stock single-pipe, Falcon dual pipe sports type, and Phoenix single bore sports type. Except for the pure stock type all have been used with uprated cams and triple Webers on my cars, and the stainless stock version I've used on both std and modified engines. I've sold the Falcon dual sports system as it defies the conventional wisdom by splitting the exhaust, a move found decades ago by Kastner to cost significant HP. The stainless stock version I keep hanging in the garage as it's in fine shape and may yet serve on a 3rd car someday...

Unless you want to change the sound ( i.e. more noise ) I wouldn't bother changing the exhaust on a stock carb TR6, unless going to the stainless version. It will not sound like original and won't give significant power increase. The sound of a stock carb TR250/6 is classic - very refined and dignified ( and I admit I miss it sometimes ).

On the other hand, with the right mods the Phoenix single-bore with proper tubular header will give real satisfaction, and the sound is lovely in its own right :rolleyes: Phoenix now seem to offer a twin-pipe silencer for the single-bore system which I'll be adding to my list shortly for use on my current project ;)

Here's an honest recommendation. Before you invest in a "free-flow" exhaust system you should be aware of two issues:

1. manufactures claims are generally grossly exaggerated

2. they can be very noisy to the occupant

My first TR was a 4A which I drove to college in the 1960's. I installed a Stebro free-flow exhaust system because I thought it sounded cool. At the time I was dating a young lady who is now my wife (38 years). Shortly after installing the system we drove from Philadelphia to Watkins Glen, NY for the US Gran Prix. This is a long drive in a TR and the constant drone of the exhaust almost ended that relationship. Actually at the midpoint fuel stop she left me and finished the trip with another group of friends. We often joke about this, but seriously, you must be aware of the down-side.

To be honest, I still think that system had an outrageously sexy sound and it did attract a lot of attention, albeit at time the long arm of the law.

Good luck!

This does tend to be the downside of sports exhausts, great fun for short blats through the countryside but not fun on a long trip where the resonance can be very tiring. I used to know someone who had a Dodge Challenger( Vanishing Point car for those film buffs with long memories) that was fitted with Thrush Outsiders (American exhausts) that ran down either side outside of the sills and on a trip from Shepperton into central London attracted more than its fair share of attention from the boys in blue and was very annoying after the novelty wore off in a couple of miles!!

Standard systems are the usual manufacturers compromise between efficency and DB levels to comply with laws in all the countries that the cars are supplied to, and obviously price as well.

Stuart

they can be very noisy to the occupant

True to a point - keep in mind that a long trip in a TR without a hardtop will be hard on the ears anyway, due to wind noise. I have used ear plugs for long trips in these long before switching to non-std exhausts.

Phoenix now have quieter versions of their single-bore silencers and I've been told they've standardized on them. Mine is pretty tame unless given a good thrashing, and the wind noise in cruising mode is certainly louder. At 60 mph, even with the [ surrey ] top off it's just about quiet ;)