Boot lock number

Greetings all...

Can anyone please advise where to find the lock (key) number for the boot lock - it seems that the actual lock requires to be separated from the lock mechanism. As yet Ihave not received the heritage trace that will have the original lock numbers on ( I beleive all locks are original) - However, if anyone has a 'spare' lock going... ;)

Whilst I have a key that I assume to be for the boot, it does not work!

Many thanks in advance.

Rgds

Ian, if the locks are still original the boot and the glovebox should use the same keys, if the boot lid lock does not match it means someone replaced the cylinder ;)

If the key is not a straight fit you might be able to file it to shape, just remove the cylinder insert the key and look how the locking tongues behave. Here a small file can do wonders in re-shaping the key.

Edited by jean

Ian if you take the whole lock out and drill the rivets out that hold the back plate on then you can remove the whole barrel, on the side of the chrome cover there is a small pin that needs to be carefully driven, out then the actual lock mechanism can be withdrawn and if you clean it up the lock number is stamped on the side of it. Your key may not work because the small brass plates that make each lock individual (up to a point as there are more cars than lock combinations) may be seized up. A good dose of WD will usually free them up, then insert the key that you have and check that all of the plates move in so that there is no protrusions as that is what stops the lock turning. On re assembly ensure that you fit the barrel the right way up on single sided keys i.e. slot upwards when locked. On double sided keys it doesnt matter.

Hope this helps. Similar procedure applies to virtually any other lock of same design.

Stuart.

Hi Stuart

What you describe is something that I hoped I could avoid - and I have!!! :) I have a few 'spare' keys (including a cubby box lock) - one of which fits! However, it doesn't fit the cubby box on the car as it should also do - I shall have to remove the lock to check the number as the key's number has 'disappeared' over the years...

Many thanks

Rgds