The car as bought is on standard alloy rims fitted with Goodyear Eagle GA 185 x 70 R13 86H tyres all round

The nsf was unevenly worn and I have now had bearings and tracking checked. I intend to replace both fronts - the rears are very good. However the tyre pattern has been dropped and I was quoted about £56 for each fitted and balanced with the replacement Goodyear tyre

On mytyres.co.uk they have Yoko S306 available at £32.20 incl vat and delivery. I have Yokos on my 6 and am happy with them but before ordering them has anyone any experience of the 306's please

I have S306s x 13" on my 7, & x 15" on my 8.

I used them on the 7, & only fitted them to the 8, after I found them realy good. They are the best I have had, & also are lasting well.

yes good for 'spirited driving' is what i'd rate them as, nothing more.

They do let go quite rapidly when pushed, then saying that i have a habit of enjoying losing the back end and do find it very controllable, as long as your doing nothing too silly, obviously they won't compete with soft compound tyres, but i dont think this is what most people are after.

I'd say they work fine on a TR7, but obviously they are a bottom end tyre spectrum wise. so dont expect massive performance of say modern goodyear eagle F1 tyres, but these aren't availible in TR7 sizes :(

pay your money take your choice, if these are the best you can find for your budget go for them :) As an aside blackcircles.co.uk are offering 5% discount to first time buyers using the code 'bc121' at checkout (without the '' ) might be useful

cheers,

Tom Pringle

Thanks Tom

The only other quality named branded tyre on mytyres was a Toyo 600-F8 but it had poorer test results than the Yoko.

The car will be used very much for touring driving and I am not certain how good the rear Goodyear Eagles GA tyres are, but they do have 80% tread left on them. If I get chance I may try swapping fronts to rears after a few miles to compare.

I had previously looked at BlackCircles and they only listed an Enduro tyre in that size at about £28.

Thanks for the tyre pressure advice - do you think that is because of the V8 weight and handling characteristics compared to a 7?

Hi Mike, I had a set of these tyres in 185/60 13 which were on my spit and latterly on the GT6, in my experience they were very poor especially in the wet. On both cars which had quite different suspension setups, they seemed far too hard and it took a couple of thousand miles to even wear the pimples off! I'm on A539s now which seem much better. So personally I would advise against 306s but the standard tr7 size isn't very common these days and its not a performance tyre size. Steve

Edited by stephen cooper

Hi Stephen

I assume you are back from BA!

The 306's seem to provoke widely differing views and I have found the same sort of response on the Goodyears - according to their American site they are for premium sedan use!. You are right about the lack of tyres available - it's enough to start me thinking of getting 14" rims - there are a set on Ebay which are supposed to fit Dolomites or 7's.

Mike

Why not go for 15" MGF rims? You'll have a good selection of tyre to choose from, and the wheels are easy to obtain - usually a set available on the 'bay, and you have several styles to choose from. Note, you'll need MGF wheelniuts, and - in some cases - 6mm spacers can be needed.

Mike (This is silly, one of us needs to change our name!) :lol:

move to bigger rims has progressed, following previous posts, so be able to soon tell you if it helps TR7 handling with descent tyres, now have 5x TR7 alloys for sale with nearly new (2000 miles max) yoko S306 tyres for sale with nuts, 7mm tread all round, no unequal wear, anyone interested???

cheers,

Tom