Oil cooler, thermostatic or non-thermostatic

I'm looking about for deals on oil coolers at the moment and could do with some practical advise on whether or not to fit a thermostat?

-One option for winter driving (without a stat) is to cover the cooler to prevent over cooling.

-I've also read one company not recommending stats because they are another thing to go wrong and they have never heard of damage through over cooling.

-For me, the only advantage I see from the stat is that it allows the engine to get to proper running temperature faster, which has got to be good, but is it really a big deal?

regarding the cooler brackets, TRGB sell some angled brackets that they say "LIFT AND TIP OIL COOLER FORWARD TO ENSURE FULL AIR FLOW TO BOTH RADIATOR AND OIL COOLER. ALSO ENSURES GOOD CLEARANCE TO ELECTRIC FAN". Are these any different from ones sold by other? Would anybody recommend these brackets over other?

Cheers

Dave

Dave,

As I understand it, the 'stat prevents excess pressure on the cooler by providing a bypass when cold, which gradually closes as the oil heats up, routing the oil through the cooler.

My kit's cooler says " 170 psi test ". Since my gauge only goes to 100 psi I don't really know how high it would get when the oil gets forced through the radiator cold. Racetorations say that the 'stat prevents them springing leaks ostensibly due to overpressuring.

I've still not installed mine as it arrived after the warm weather <_<

Dave

I have a cooler fitted & after considering all the debates, decided to go for the stat as, on balance, I think it makes sense; just check that it’s working properly at each service. The 6 actually comes with the necessary holes for an oil cooler to bolt straight in. Not sure how much of an advantage the angled brackets are (they weren’t available when I fitted mine) but I can see the logic regarding better air flow. I’ve not had any problems in the 2 ½ years since fitting mine but I don’t really push my car to the limit much anymore (why did I fit the cooler!) but if you do track days (or even if you don’t) the small extra cost of the brackets is no big deal & is probably worth having.

The logic order is fitting an oil T° gauge in the first place, and only fitting an oil cooler if the oil T° gets regularly beyond 100°C.

The logic order is fitting an oil T° gauge in the first place, and only fitting an oil cooler if the oil T° gets regularly beyond 100°C.

Hi Marvmul

The day I bought the car and drove it home up the A1, the ambient temperatures above 40'C, the water temp gauge nearly off scale and the oil press so low I was very concerned. With these reading and the general consensus that the car suffers from poor cooling I don't think I need to check this. I agree that an oil temp gauge is good to see how the cooler performs but not essential.

Where do you actually fit a oil temp gauge? Would it go into one end of the cooler or can an adapter be used somewhere?

Dave

Oil is a better coolant than water so it makes sense to fit the oil cooler. In order for the cooling to work efficiently it needs a thermostat. QED. I don't subscribe to the 'sometheng else to go wrong' school of thought.

Do not mount the cooler direct to the chassis. You must use a bracket or rubber mounting as the chassis flex will fracture the aluminium matrix if directly mounted. I found the little fuel pump 'cotton reel' mounting rubbers ideal.

Jerry

Dave,

Don't know if this was mentioned in the discussions you read, but the reason for an oil cooler is to speed engine warm-up amd prevent over cooling of the oil, just like a water 'stat. Engine oil is designed to work at 180-200C, and the longer it is cooler than that the more wear occurs. A 'stat should bypass the cooler to provide lubrication until the engine gets that hot.

It is paramount to make sure that the 'stat is connected correctly. I had one that was not (mea culpa) and it worked fine - until the engine got hot, whereupon the oil pressure blew the hoses off and dumped all the oil, as the bypass opened the wrong way!

John

Forgive my impudence but I suspect you mean "...but the reason for the thermostat on an oil cooler is to speed engine warm-up..."

:)

So kind!

Piece out my imperfections, with your thoughts.... Think when I talk of oil coolers ........

Gently to hear, kindly to judge, my post.

Thank you, grmills!

John

Hi Marvmul

The day I bought the car and drove it home up the A1, the ambient temperatures above 40'C, the water temp gauge nearly off scale and the oil press so low I was very concerned. With these reading and the general consensus that the car suffers from poor cooling I don't think I need to check this. I agree that an oil temp gauge is good to see how the cooler performs but not essential.

Where do you actually fit a oil temp gauge? Would it go into one end of the cooler or can an adapter be used somewhere?

Dave

To fit an oil T° sensor, a plug needs to be weld in the oil sump . When the car is overheating, or the coolant is

very hot already before the oil is reaching 90 - 100 °C, something must be wrong with the cooling system, or ignition timing, or fuel mixture... 30 years ago, a friend of mine had a Alfa Julia 1600 : he knew when the oil T° was high enough by looking at the oil PRESSURE gauge : he waited till the pressure was dropped to about 40 psi, than he could safely use the engine at the full.

i have just fitted a oil temp gauge and done apx 600 miles .temp sender in the sump.it takes a long time for the oil to get warm from cold 1/2 an hour to 50c around town. driving on the m way between3500 & 4000 rpm it has never gone above 90c.

once it gets hot its very slow to cool down compared with the water temp gauge

i was going to fit a oil cooler but il wait and see whot its like when it comes warm [might have a long wait]

so if youve got a oil cooler cover it up for winter or fit a thermostat

i tested sender in the top of a thermos flask of boiling water and multimeter with temp probe.

richard