Dash top crash pad

I purchased a new dash top pad last week. At the weekend I came to fit and realised that the part supplied is a copy of the original, it is a single foam part. I know that the original was foam with a cover that wrapped around the front and was trapped between the body and the metal dash. Does anyone know where I can get a dash top pad like the original? I do not like the look of this replacement part. My original is long gone and I would like the new one to look lke the original.

Thanks

Hi Simon

I bought one a while ago from the TR shop in London which fitted as you describe, only problem was it was very expensive for what it was but as they were the only supplier that had them at that time I had no choice as it was holding up the restoration

Ron

Simon/Rex,

I need to replace the dash top pad also - I'd appreciate any info on where to get one that's as original looking as possible (especially if it doesn't cost the earth...).

Thanks,

John

John

I managed to get one from the TR shop. The only problem is I had the last one and it was expensive!!!!!! During my telephone conversations I did phone up Moss London, but they only had what I already had bought (I had to get the sales guy to check this out). I also spoke with Rimmer Bros. who said that they were supposed to be getting some in soon and told me to call back in about a month. I bought mine because like Ron it was holding up my restoration. My suggestion to you would be to call around to see if you can get a good second hand one or recover your existing. Do not throw your old one away until you have your new one in-hand as I did. The annoying thing I am finding during my restoration is that the suppliers do not tell you whether the part is exactly as the original or a copy. Also they seem to list items as available when the are sometimes not (can be very frustrating). Hope this helps.

Simon

simon

I was in the same position as some of the other chaps, needed it to complete the restoration, and was not prepared to pay an inflated price just because the supplies were drying up. Dave Ferguson, of Northern TR Center fame and now Tees Trim, recovered mine in leather for £40 and looks better than original to boot. He did a good job and would recomend his services.

dave can be contacted on 01642 355942. I know this dosent help you much as you no longer have your old one, but if you were able to get a dammaged old one then maybe......

kind regards

Phil simpson

Do not throw your old one away until you have your new one in-hand as I did.

Thanks for the advice. I'll see if I can find out what it will cost me to get it recovered in leather, like Phil did...

John

John C try the Healey Factory in Melbourne - they told me over the phone they were getting them manufactured locally. I haven't seen them but it's worth an enquiry/inspection. Please let us know what you find out if you do follow this up.

Colin W - Adelaide

• 10 months later...
There is a page on the VTR web site in the US about recovering your old dash top . I have just followed the instructions , it took  a couple of hours but am very happy with the results . best bit - it cost @ £20 for the adhesive  & enough material to do both lower crash pads & H frame as well !    :D

....door top pulls.

I saw Jon Smith's (I hope he doesn't mind me name dropping) 6 a couple of weeks ago, he's got the walnut burr dash and door tops, as soon as we can afford to go the same route we will, they look absolutely right.

Hi all,

I'm now in the hunt for these elusive dashtops

I got one from the TR shop in London last year, it was very good but the price was high [to put it politely], but I had to take it as my old one had completely disintegrated or I would have tried what Scotty suggested

Ron

Yep mine was knackered as well so i dont have the original, am i guessing the price to be near the £100 mark at TR Shop rather than the £40 mark for the rubber type dashboards?

How knackered ? - when I took mine off there were dirty big holes where the original foam type stuff was and cracks & holes in the black cover - fill  with RTV silicone ( the stuff you seal the bathroom shower with) , contour & level then recover , this was the first time I had ever tried this sort of thing so if I can do it anyone can . Maybe it is the tight fisted jock in me but there is no way I was going to pay the extorsionist sums the dealers wanted for a new one .

A bad crashpad or dash would drive me crazy, I think. This items are always in front of your eys, so do not spare any effort. In case of, try to recover the money from the boot interior or from any other hidden item  :)

Jean

Hi all thanks for the replies,

Ive just been incontact with John Skinner LTD,http://www.john-skinner.co.uk,  Who will retrim all the crash pads + Dashtop for around £45 vinyl or £90 leather, he also told me that the original tooling to make the dashtops was broken permanently and they(not John skinner some other company) sold all their stock to TRShop.  So once its gone its gone and we'll all be stuck with the rubber rubbish:(   Moral of the story NEVER throw away your old dashtop, unless the foam was cracked into about 10 pieces like mine.  I'm off to spend about £250 on all the crash pads from TRShop, they better be good:rock:

At the time I bought mine from TR shop they had the choice of with or without the ashtray hole. I don't think you'll have any complaints about the quality but the price is a different matter.

I don't know if they actually gain anything in the long term charging prices like that, I only bought it because I had no choice and I've quite deliberately avoided buying anything from them since and like most TR restorers I've spent a considerable amount of money rebuilding the car. ???

Ron

Jonlar

I've just ordered the vinyl ones with the recess for your fingers, he also told me that on the later TR6 they just had a whole in the door to pull it shut! I was thinking about the TR4a chrome door pulls but decided against it. The wooden door caps were another £50, ive just spent £280 on dashop LH+RH lower crash pad switch plinth and vinyle door caps.  Thats more than enough for now  :(  I could have got the other bits(everything but the dashtop) else where cheaper i just hope all the vinyl matches and its not 3 different sorts as with the Moss one i'm taking back tomorrow is.

Hi Kris

I got the other bits from different sources and they matched OK, the only thing I've never managed to get is the finishing trim for the hole in the door on the later model for pulling it shut, it was missing when I bought the car.

Ron