Overheating rear brakes

At the risk of being boring, I may have made some progress with my long standing brake problem.

I had an early meeting on Saturday morning, at the TR garage and during the head scratching pointed out that the brake shoes, supplied and fitted to the side which runs so hot, were not as in my workshop manual. The manual shows the leading edge about 2 inches from the edge of the shoe itself. My new linings are extended to the edge of the shoe and are therefore non standard. The garage feel that this is the problem and we are going back after Christmas to have it changed.

Later that morning, I am still wondering how this happened and still not convinced that the hub is not a problem as well. So I called the TR shop in Chiswick and discovered that new shoes are no longer available, and that I must have my own shoes relined. It suddenly becomes blindingly clear that this was the situation when my work was carried out to my car, and that the re-lining company at that time, was not familiar with the exact size of a TR3 lining and covered the entire shoe.

So I have wasted 18 months dismantling the rear brakes, replacing cables and worrying. As we looked at the screen in the garage office the mechanic who carried out the work was identified as Andy, and I was assured that he would be put on the job again. Is this what I want?

At the AGM I met the area co-ordinator from Aberdeen who used to work for Mintex. He knows a lot about brakes. I failed to note his name. I am now in need of some advice on what lining to use, and I am trying to find out the name and contact for my chance meeting at Gaydon.I need help on the specification for new linings from someone who knows what to do and can effectively reline my shoes.

Watch out for rogue shoe suppliers.

Yours

Richard :)

Richard - I drove over 80,000 miles from new on my original 10" rear brake linings and when I was doing my restoration from 1987 to 1990, I discovered that oil or grease had leaked from the rear axle seal and the lining on one side was impregnated with oil or grease. So I took them to a local brake/clutch shop and they glued on new linings for both sides. I just checked my files and found that the shop which did this actually glued on the new linings about 3/4" short. About 8 years ago, after adjusting the linings back onto the drums, I found that they squeaked on one side when I braked. The drum was too hot to touch. So I backed off the adjuster a bit on that side and they have been fine ever since. I have driven 94,000 miles on these "new" linings since 1990 and only had that one bit of trouble. This past spring, I had to readjust them both again about a half turn (2 sides of the square).

The sketch from my files may help. If you enlarge it to A4 size, you can lay your linings on the sketch for comparison.

Don Elliott, 1958 TR3A, Montreal, Canada

http://www.triumphest2006.com/images/clubc...tt'str3.jpg

Photo from VTR 2001 in Colorado where I was awarded the Ken Richardson trophy

Edited by Don Elliott

Richard - have you got a Girling or Lockheed axle? Somewhere in the back of my memory I have the feeling you said you had Lockheed.

Regards, Nigel (with TS952).

Didn't look at the buy/sell thread - you have answered the question. If it was Lockheed there would be no problems as 'I have a source'. ;)

Edited by Nigel Lay