Help, whats this.

Looks like a voltage stabaliser. Do all your instruments still work ?

Jim

It is definately a voltage stabiliser and should be screwed to the rear of the dash pod. It's purpose funnily enough is to stabilise the voltage for the instrumentation. If all instruments are currently working, I would suggest it had been replaced but left behind the dash to fall out at some unsuspecting time.

Regards

Gary B)

I took it to the club meeting last night, everything seemed to work apart from the main beam warning lamp. I have seen it under the dash before and the wires from it are now hanging, i had a look on the rimmers website, they show a unit that looks the same but on the other side by the fuse box, its for the fuel level light, could this be it? i have half a tank so i'd better drive it and find out.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest dolomiteman

Jim Hilton, member of the TDC, now makes contempoary electronic versions of the voltage stabilizer housed in the original casing making a more reliable and robust unit visually identical to the original. I have yet to have need to fit one myself to one of my cars but reports back from those who have are of far better instrument performance.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Max,

It is very easy to check, and or change the delay unit. Look in the schematic to see what terminals to hook to 12V and hook a meter to the others. In 30-40 sec, you should see continuity. If not, it's bad. I took mine apart one day and was able to re-solder the wire inside to keep it going. All it does is delay the low fuel light so it doesn't some on from just going adound a corner or long curve as the fuel in the tank moves from one side to another.

Dave

• 2 months later...

In the Haynes manual it is called a low fuel delay ("relay") unit. I have one attached to an instument consul in my garage at the moment.

If you undo the screws on the consul over the instuments and look at the top on the left hand side it should be sitting there. If it is the one you have there is surplus to requirements. if not there ping me back as next week I am replacing my tacho and have to take that part of the dash apart and can tell you what wires go where.

To confirm it is the same part you should have two females and two male pins with the letters E & L next to females and B next to male with nothing on the far left pin.

The point of the relay is to stop giving a false reading when going round corners. Not that 70s/80s electrics were that accurate anyway.

Bryan