Fuel stabiliser

I'm curious to know everyone's opinion on the addition of a petrol stabiliser to see the car over the winter. The product claims seem to suggest it's good for all injection components, stopping them sticking up over a period of inactivity. I've never bothered with such a product with carburettor cars but maybe it would be wise to add it to a full tank of petrol in a PI car over the winter. The TR is finally running like a dream after 15 months of sorting, so I don't want to have to take the injection system to bits (for the umpteenth time) next spring.

Your thoughts would be appreciated as I can't find any postings in the archives. There is a POR-15 stabiliser product available from Frost's which I can readily obtain as Frost's are only down the road from me.

many thanks

Ray

Ray

I'd tend to go with Jerry's suggestion - even if you only take it out once a month on a dry day for 20 miles it will do it good and give you the chance to get some fresh petrol in. My view - not based on any science whatsover - but I reckon the more concoctions you pour in, the bigger the chance of trouble!

Edited by badshead
I'm curious to know everyone's opinion on the addition of a petrol stabiliser to see the car over the winter. The product claims seem to suggest it's good for all injection components, stopping them sticking up over a period of inactivity. I've never bothered with such a product with carburettor cars but maybe it would be wise to add it to a full tank of petrol in a PI car over the winter. The TR is finally running like a dream after 15 months of sorting, so I don't want to have to take the injection system to bits (for the umpteenth time) next spring.

Your thoughts would be appreciated as I can't find any postings in the archives. There is a POR-15 stabiliser product available from Frost's which I can readily obtain as Frost's are only down the road from me.

many thanks

Ray

I just put my 250 to sleep for the winter. For the past 21 years (since it was restored) I follow the same routine each November. When its time I take her out for a run until I have less than 1/8-tank of gas remaining. I installed a fuel cut-off valve, similar to my TR-3A. I close this valve and run the engine until it stalls from fuel starvation. This empties the carbs. I then pour a bit of the stabilizer in the tank and wait until Spring. When I start it for the first time in the Spring, I first put a couple of gallons of fresh gas in the tank, then I open the shut-off valve, and prime the carbs (the original fuel pumps had a manual lever). This routine has never failed me. In a PI car, I suspect it would be a bit more critical to prevent a build-up of varnish and other contaminents in the fuel, but if you are storing your car for several weeks the stabilizer wont hurt. It is advisable to have as empty a tank as possible prior to the dormant period. Good luck.

I store my TR3A for 5 months every winter. We get lots and lots of snow here in Eastern Canada. I leave the tank almost empty. But I store it in a clean, heated (55 F) dry garage. Many owners have to leave their car outdoors or in an unheated garage. In this case it's better to leave the tank full and add stabiliser. Otherwise condensation will collect inside the tank and it will rust through. An additional point with my tank. I had it "slushed" with a liquid epoxy ? inside so rust cannot develop.

• 2 weeks later...
I installed a fuel cut-off valve, similar to my TR-3A. I close this valve and run the engine until it stalls from fuel starvation. This empties the carbs. ---- In a PI car, I suspect it would be a bit more critical to prevent a build-up of varnish and other contaminents in the fuel, but if you are storing your car for several weeks the stabilizer wont hurt. It is advisable to have as empty a tank as possible prior to the dormant period. Good luck.

I would not advise doing this on a PI car; you may find the M/U, PRV & Lucas pump siezed in the spring or at least not very happy! They should not be stored dry & must either be inhibited or run the engine for 20 minutes or so once aweek as I do. The empty tank will also encorage contamination of the fuel & rust through condensation in a damp climate.