Bosch pump filter placement

Hi all - some advice please. Checking out my recently acquired 6 -after a 45yr gap- I  noticed a damp patch under the car which on investigation turned out to be a poor connection of fuel pipework to a filter placed inside the boot- see pic. As soon as I touched the filter the pipework disconnected & petrol everywhere before I found the tap attached to the tank connector!! 
Question is - is this the ‘normal’ position for a filter where a Bosch pump has been fitted? Or is it better to have the filter positioned outside the boot, which thinking about it might also be a better option for when the fuel tank needs draining as it can be disconnected there. 
Also any tips for cutting the braided hose cleanly to get those anodised end caps on easily - which I think caused the problem as the braid was frayed and probably stopped the pipework going fully home before tightening. Thanks in anticipation 

jimt

IMG_5821.jpeg

Edited by jimt

Are you sure the hose isn't split under the braiding? I've used unbraided high pressure Gates Barricade for maybe 10 years or so because I know it will  work with  modern fuel blends. I used double SS Jubilee clips with the heads spaced 180 degrees apart at each joint- your set up appears to have only one (or is that a repair attempt).

There are many filter/pump arrangements used with Bosch pumps- a search of this forum will show most of them. The key to a successful Bosch pump installation is to minimize restriction on the pump suction line and any arrangement which achieves this will work well.

Most people fit their filters in the boot, if the suction line is valved and the PRV return line is above the petrol level in the tank there's an acceptable level of fuel spillage when changing filters.

Personally I'd dump the braided hose, I've never put bling ahead of functionality.

Those little filters are a waste of time too get a decent sized Sytec one

Stuart.

Posted (edited)

No definitely not split MikeC- the whole system looks ‘as new’.

Ive now found that what I have is a Revington Bosch pump kit that also includes a pre-filter being the one pictured in the boot. I can’t imagine it being a waste of time  Stuart if it’s part of their kit- it looks good quality with a removable filter element & is only a pre- filter’ anyway.  
the pump incl the main Bosch filter is mounted outside the boot under the NS boot floor panel hence I suppose the braided hoses for added protection. Why have a set up that spills petrol internally if it can be avoided -especially as I like to drain my cars tanks if laid up over winter months & particularly now we have higher ethanol contents.   I’ll probably look to change the ‘pre-filter’ to also be outside the boot as it can then be disconnected there more easily to effect a spill free filter clean & drain down procedure. Additionally the spare wheel is very tight to the pre-filter & I’m  now also thinking  it may have been when the tyre’s been installed it’s dislodged the connection. I’m going to call Revingtons to see if it should have been placed outside the boot when installed by the previous owner.

Edited by jimt

Jim, I can't see any reason from what I've learned here to not go the Bosch/Sytec route as many here have tried and tested which works a treat. Fitting is easy and the tyre has plenty of room to go in, and we pack the space around the tyre with spare parts when away. The Sytec also has an advantage of easy to clean/change filter.

8772767B-ABA9-495D-997D-C70762D48D44_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.5b54462596fb21c0883e0a07d10b24a5.jpegDE66E0E9-EBE8-4FD4-B577-9CDA0AD9D248_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.8fd89f40acd7152a8a7bd974ea39fee9.jpeg

1 hour ago, Steve-B said:

Jim, I can't see any reason from what I've learned here to not go the Bosch/Sytec route as many here have tried and tested which works a treat. Fitting is easy and the tyre has plenty of room to go in, and we pack the space around the tyre with spare parts when away. The Sytec also has an advantage of easy to clean/change filter.

8772767B-ABA9-495D-997D-C70762D48D44_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.5b54462596fb21c0883e0a07d10b24a5.jpegDE66E0E9-EBE8-4FD4-B577-9CDA0AD9D248_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.8fd89f40acd7152a8a7bd974ea39fee9.jpeg

Correct, a much better pre filter and there is a stainless mesh inner filter to go in that lasts forever, much less restriction.

Stuart.

1 hour ago, stuart said:

Correct, a much better pre filter and there is a stainless mesh inner filter to go in that lasts forever, much less restriction.

Stuart.

While you're at it Jim, unless you've a modern PRV it is an excellent time to do that as well. Then you're certain of a good fueling, though you might check your rubber hosing to make sure it is E-10 compatible...

Posted (edited)

While you're at it Jim, unless you've a modern PRV it is an excellent time to do that as well. Then you're certain of a good fueling, though you might check your rubber hosing to make sure it is E-10 compatible.

Thanks for the input - I’ve looked at the set up again and decided that the filter will stay in the boot after all as I’m going to put underwing shields on & accessibility will therefore be more difficult as a result if the filter is placed externally.  I am going to change the prefilter to a Sytec on your advice- Steve B -are those fittings in it 1/4 NPT?  
PRV should be fine as it’s a ‘modern’ one as per pic. The rubber hose attached to is a Codan ethanol resistant one - so I should imagine? as it was installed at the same time as the Bosch pump etc all the others are too. 
You mention E-10 compatible- do many unleaded converted 6 owners actually use E10?Probably another thread but does a 6 run ok on it?  I’ve never put it in any of my other cars as I worry about its hygroscopic properties. 

IMG_5831.jpeg

IMG_5832.jpeg

Edited by jimt

The revington pre filters works in my experience . There is more than  one size of the pre filter & outlet These can be purchased elsewhere  Changing from Bosch setup to Sytec setup may well  need a redesign of the short  filter to pump hose  link .  I have my filter / pump sitting outside the boot . Many reccomend runninga  seperate relay  electrical feed to the pump and doubling up on the earth  .I have down this using a relay with a fuse. robin

Thanks for the input Robin- I think ? you misunderstood though as I only intend to replace the small pre filter in the boot- as pictured in my post above - with a larger Sytec one, the Bosch pump/main filter outside the boot will stay. Ive also a relay fitted to cope with the additional current draw by the Bosch pump.