My old door handles were broken so bought new, but looks like they need modifying.  What’s the best plan of attack pse?

Do I have to modify the handle or the lock?  TIA.

10 hours ago, Steven Whitaker said:

My old door handles were broken so bought new, but looks like they need modifying.  What’s the best plan of attack pse?

Do I have to modify the handle or the lock?  TIA.

Hi Steve,

quite simply these are NOT TR4/4A door handles.  Emergency use only in my mind.

The internal inter-connect is missing to the inside handle.

Plenty of used handles around. Get rfe-chromed and your ready to go.

Look on Ebay for a pair.  Have you got tatty pair already that needs work???

Roger

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Lebro said:

Plan of a tack ? looks like a nail to me  :ph34r:

I’m not with you my freind!  Pse explain.  I checked my spelling!

Edit:  Silly me.  A nail in plan looks like a tack.  It’s been a long week….

Now, what to do……?

Edited by Steven Whitaker
10 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi Steve,

quite simply these are NOT TR4/4A door handles.  Emergency use only in my mind.

The internal inter-connect is missing to the inside handle.

Plenty of used handles around. Get rfe-chromed and your ready to go.

Look on Ebay for a pair.  Have you got tatty pair already that needs work???

Roger

Hi Roger.  Oh dear!  I’ve already purchased!  My pair are rough as hell with dings, bad chrome and the rear die cast plates are naffed too!

Im not that fussed about internal locking.  Should I be?

I read that someone had rechromed and they came out really badly.  I thought these would be fine.  They look the same!

Hi Steven,

the Moss handles will fit but the forward internal handle will not lock the door.  To me that is not right as Moss could get them sorted.

It would cost them money so would be a little dearer. But they are leaving it to the owner to sort out

It may be possible to use the old innards put into the new bodies.  I haven't seen the new handles so not sure what ir required.

The back plate on the new handles simply needs a split  in then to take the small lever to operate the internal shaft to the front handle.

I have sent you a PM

Roger

44 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Hi Steven,

the Moss handles will fit but the forward internal handle will not lock the door.  To me that is not right as Moss could get them sorted.

It would cost them money so would be a little dearer. But they are leaving it to the owner to sort out

It may be possible to use the old innards put into the new bodies.  I haven't seen the new handles so not sure what ir required.

The back plate on the new handles simply needs a split  in then to take the small lever to operate the internal shaft to the front handle.

I have sent you a PM

Roger

Hi Roger.  The mounting point to the door on the new handles is different to the original handles and will need the rear mounting point opening up in the door skin.  They are not  a direct replacement.  The innards on my ordinal handles appear to be all there, but both the cast monkey metal backplates are goosed.  The metal is rotten and they are broken.  Also, one of the innards is broken at the top is you look on the photos.  The chrome isn’t too bad, but there are dings and scratches in them.  And of course the new ones don’t have the lever for internal locking.

I have no spares so went for the new ones.  Now wondering what to do now…. I’m guessing that all oem back plates are the same and rotten.

IMG_3706.jpeg

IMG_3715.jpeg

IMG_3714.jpeg

IMG_3713.jpeg

IMG_3716.jpeg

IMG_3717.jpeg

IMG_3718.jpeg

IMG_3719.jpeg

IMG_3720.jpeg

IMG_3707.jpeg

IMG_3708.jpeg

IMG_3709.jpeg

IMG_3710.jpeg

IMG_3711.jpeg

IMG_3712.jpeg

IMG_3721.jpeg

IMG_3722.jpeg

IMG_3723.jpeg

IMG_3724.jpeg

IMG_3725.jpeg

2 hours ago, Steven Whitaker said:

I’m not with you my freind!  Pse explain.  I checked my spelling!

Edit:  Silly me.  A nail in plan looks like a tack.  It’s been a long week….

Now, what to do……?

Sorry, it was a Goon show quote :D

Bob

I've been dreaming (nightmares) of these handles.

It came to me.  These are Bedford TRuck door handles.  Find the Bedford TRuck forum and sell them there.

You see them on Ebay stating for a TR4/4A - no way.

Roger

2 hours ago, RogerH said:

I've been dreaming (nightmares) of these handles.

It came to me.  These are Bedford TRuck door handles.  Find the Bedford TRuck forum and sell them there.

You see them on Ebay stating for a TR4/4A - no way.

Roger

Yes thats exactly what they are, we had this discussion a long time ago. TBH I would keep looking fro half decent s/hand. I had the ones on my 4a rechromed many years ago and they came out ok and are still pretty good.

Edit I have this drivers side handle it’s complete and works though I don’t know the key number without stripping it down, chrome isn’t great but would rechrome ok It’s still got the “To lock”with arrow script on the lock 

Stuart.

IMG_8040.jpeg

IMG_8039.jpeg

IMG_8038.jpeg

Edited by stuart

I’ve also just found the remnants of the door handle that got smashed off my car when I got side swiped, the mechanism is complete and would be useable to repair another handle, there is a lock barrel too.

Stuart 

IMG_8041.jpeg

IMG_8042.jpeg

IMG_8043.jpeg

Thanks all. Thanks for the pm Roger.   I’m going to see if Moss will take the new handles back.  If yes I think it makes sense to rebuild mine.  Then I’ll fit them and look into having them rechromed over winter.

Ive asked Moss and await their reply.

Thanks again.  Steven.