Hi all, I am currently replacing the bushes on the rear suspension trailing arms and when I removed the trailing arms there are no shims between the chassis and the mounting brackets. Does anyone know if shims are always necessary or does it depend on the actual geometry of the chassis?

5 minutes ago, Duncan Cowan said:

Hi all, I am currently replacing the bushes on the rear suspension trailing arms and when I removed the trailing arms there are no shims between the chassis and the mounting brackets. Does anyone know if shims are always necessary or does it depend on the actual geometry of the chassis?

They were fitted to correct the geometry of toe in and I dont think Ive ever seen a car without them so I would be surprised if thats correct..

Stuart.

12 minutes ago, Duncan Cowan said:

Get the geometry looked at with a HawkEye alignment system and then you will know for definite

It does sound odd tho'

Roger

42 minutes ago, Richard71 said:

Are the shims necessary to account for discrepancies in the chassis or the trailing arms........or both?

Richard.

Chassis mostly.

Stuart.

Also keep in mind.....Establish your desired ride height as height will change the camber.

Do you have adjustable TA brackets?

15 hours ago, Malbaby said:

Also keep in mind.....Establish your desired ride height as height will change the camber.

Do you have adjustable TA brackets?

Shims are for castor not camber.

Stuart.