Hello

another wet day, no golf, so checking out my overdrive switch.   I replaced the relay, and get 12v where appropriate.  But when I switch to on, or off,   i get nothing, no click,   and I think no earthing.

It is an original lute or pear shaped switch, and on taking it apart has some fancy spring/toggle mechanism,   but it doesn't seem to swing properly from one terminal to the other.   This is just supposed to be a simple on/off switch isn't it,   nothing else clever going on?

Cheers

Dave

Yes just a normal single pole on-off switch. It's a very simple mechanism. If it isn't 'snapping' properly it may just need a little lubrication of the moving parts. 

Edited by RobH

Thanks Rob,   I'll have a go at cleaning it up, before replacing it if needed.

Cheers

Dave

===

i cleaned and lubricated it and it seems to work well off the car.  I shorted the two cable together while they were out of the switch and there was a healthy click, so that all looks good.

The  cables in the switch just had bare ends that the pointy screws were touching I guess. Seems a bit haphazard,  are they supposed to be like that?

I'll see how I get on before I look at your solution Bob. I've just about done the electrics, next job is the brakes.   Nowhere near ready for starting or running yet.

Cheers

Dave

42 minutes ago, dpb said:

The  cables in the switch just had bare ends that the pointy screws were touching I guess. Seems a bit haphazard,  are they supposed to be like that?

The screw should grip the wire well enough stop it pulling out as well as making a good electrical connection.  

Posted (edited)

Hi Rob

Are the wires supposed to be bare-ended or should the pointy screw go through the insulation, do you know?

Dave

====

Edited by dpb

I would fold the bare ends back under the cable, so that the screw bites into the insulation to grip it and forces the bare wire down onto the socket to make the contact. 

After a bit of fiddling I discovered the pointy screws don't go all the way through the switch,  they stop a few mil short,  no contact made with wires or insulation.  I must be missing something - a connecting piece or a fitting of some sort.

Does anyone know what should be in there?

Cheers

Dave

Maybe they aren't the right screws Dave  - does it look like this?

614823383_TR3ODswitch.JPG.e1c5021370c6ca2f71e443318240bafa.JPG

It looks exactly like that.

What's underneath the switch though?

Dave 

Can't find a photo of that side.

Maybe the original wires had ferrules on so the screws did make contact? 

I can't find a pic either. Must be some sort of fitting i am missing.

Thanks for your help Rob.

Thank you Bob

1737486754_Originaltop.jpg.deb9e95544bd01b16bcd8f47851526ed.jpg 1691125815_Originalunder.jpg.f348cbf0eba06904bcfd154a7744d186.jpg 2028147833_Reprotop.jpg.66675feb88219017c755d94797fd429c.jpg 2082899846_reprounder.thumb.jpg.ff499032f672cec1efb3befb33c80527.jpg

Original  top                              Original base                                Repro top                               Repro base  

The screws are tapered, & when screwed right the way in they trap the wire between the tapered side of the screw, & the tapered base of the hole.

A quick test showed that the wires were held securely.

Bob

Thank you Bob. 

Mine looks like the original.

I'm still unclear how the wires attach.  Are they poked up into rhe hole and then the screws applied from the top?

Dave

Thanks

To finish off: cleaned, lubricated and rewired switch, and replaced wiring connections (one old one was insulated with making tape), and all now working with a satisfying clunk somewhere under the tunnel.

Thanks all for your help.

Dave