Measurement required please.

From my current project which is a 6 cyl TR engine in a TR4A chassis.

I would like to check that the engine is at the correct height.

Can someone provide a reference point measurement on the engine to the chassis.

IMG_2037.JPG

Posted (edited)

The bottom of the block is currently 80mm from the top of the main cross member.

Top of LCA bracket is level with oil pan lip.

Engine higher than what it should be??

IMG_2042.JPG

rhs.JPG

Edited by Malbaby

Hi Malbaby,

I measured my CP-TR6 this morning.

The lower block flange is 90 mm above the crossmember, the ridge of the sump around 10 mm lower.

I assume the sump dimension you give (50 mm) is related to the other dimension, and was a bit hard to access now, or do I mis-understand you?

The engine rubber mounts are 7 years old now sow will have sagged a bit, but not much, maybe just a couple of mm.

The block is sitting level left to right but the rear end is lower compared to the front.

Hope this helps.

Waldi

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Z320 said:

Hi Marco...The TR5 and TR250 had the 6 cyl engine, so bonnet clearance is not an issue.

Fitting a 6 engine in a 4A frame and under a 4A bonnet,

isn‘t a measurement under a 4A bonnet what you need

?

Edited by Malbaby
4 hours ago, Waldi said:

Hi Malbaby,

I measured my CP-TR6 this morning.

The lower block flange is 90 mm above the crossmember, the ridge of the sump around 10 mm lower.

I assume the sump dimension you give (50 mm) is related to the other dimension, and was a bit hard to access now, or do I mis-understand you?

The engine rubber mounts are 7 years old now sow will have sagged a bit, but not much, maybe just a couple of mm.

The block is sitting level left to right but the rear end is lower compared to the front.

Hope this helps.

Waldi

Thanks Waldi....the bottom of the engine block is 80mm above the CM, so I should be OK with height.

As for checking the longitudinal placement?....the centre of the engine mount is very close to be aligned with the front edge of the rear lower control arm bracket on the chassis.

lca.JPG

Unless I'm missing the point here, would a good start point not be the location of the engine mount chassis brackets on either a TR5 or 6?

Given the road wheels are in the same place on all chassis, wouldn't that then mean that your engine is in the same/correct location and you can then modify other sections of the chassis around the engine, if needs be.

I think that this would be the way that I'd be doing this.

Are the required measurements/chassis bracket locations and holes to be found in workshop manuals?

David

9 hours ago, david ferry said:

Unless I'm missing the point here, would a good start point not be the location of the engine mount chassis brackets on either a TR5 or 6?

Given the road wheels are in the same place on all chassis, wouldn't that then mean that your engine is in the same/correct location and you can then modify other sections of the chassis around the engine, if needs be.

I think that this would be the way that I'd be doing this.

Are the required measurements/chassis bracket locations and holes to be found in workshop manuals?

David

Hi David...I had to fabricate new engine mount to chassis plates as they are not available to purchase, then welded them on to where I believed [on advice and measurements from forum members] was the correct position.

I now just wanted to double check that I have it right, hence my post.