Paintwork fettling - not for the faint hearted !

8 hours ago, stuart said:

Ive been reading this thread and quietly laughing to myself. This is the eternal problem with 2K paint. Unless its flatted and polished properly within 24hrs of painting it never really looks that good. It might be a bit shiny after hours and hours of work but it never has the "depth" of shine that original Cellulose has and with that a nice flat off with 1200 w/dry and then polished back up with some G3 compound and then some T-cut and a nice coat of Autoglym polish and it will outshine any amount of polishing 2k. But you boys seem to like hard work so go ye ahead ;):lol:

Stuart.

jeffstr5 147.jpg

Bear in mind Stuart that the car came to me with this finish, I’m trying to do the best with what I have. 

It would have been useful to have your expertise a lot earlier in the thread and I was hoping that as a bodywork expert you’d have chipped in earlier, but maybe you were laughing too much to type !

14 hours ago, Jonny TR6 said:

Bear in mind Stuart that the car came to me with this finish, I’m trying to do the best with what I have. 

It would have been useful to have your expertise a lot earlier in the thread and I was hoping that as a bodywork expert you’d have chipped in earlier, but maybe you were laughing too much to type !

Sadly its not good when they turn up with poor paint finish and your trying to make the best of it but do still bear in mind too much flatting off and theres a possibility of going through to the primer which will then cause you even more problems of trying to match when refinishing a panel. Always keep off the edges as much as possible especially if your using a machine, always keep the surface wet when using compound to guard against burning the paint with too much heat off the polisher. If using wet and dry then add some washing up liquid to the water (always use the cheap corner shop type not best Fairy liquid as theres too much salt in the expensive brands) Keep your paper clean, if it starts to pick up paint residue then use a butter knife blade edge drawn across the paper to clear it.

I didnt bother to chip in earlier as you all seem to be intent on doing it your way and hard work never hurt anyone plus its good to learn ;)

Stuart.

@stuart Is cellulose paint still available in the UK? I'm pretty sure it's not here. At least not from the main retailers. Definitely not in touch-up rattle cans.

Cheers,
John

Cellulose paint is still available but the sale (in automotive terms) is restricted to vehicles that might have been painted with it from new.

So for TR use it’s OK but not for a 2020 Audi for example.

How that’s policed? Not to my knowledge but that’s a different matter. 

Yes. I *think* there's an exemption here for a "registered restoration". Whatever that is. I'm confronted by some serious paintwork in the near future and I expect I'll need to choose a non-cellulose option. Any advice?

2 hours ago, Andy Moltu said:

Cellulose paint is still available but the sale (in automotive terms) is restricted to vehicles that might have been painted with it from new.

So for TR use it’s OK but not for a 2020 Audi for example.

How that’s policed? Not to my knowledge but that’s a different matter. 

Thats twaddle you can buy cellulose still full stop, the only reason for not painting a 2020 Audi in it would be that the formula for a match is non existent, however someone like Ken and Lyn paints with a sample panel could tint you the colour from a similar base. For example my version of Triumph Royal Blue that Ive painted quite a few cars over the years in was updated by Ken a couple of years ago to start from a 2018 Aston Martin colour but that still matches with the original colour I started with more than 30 yrs ago.

Stuart.

1369187198_jeffstr5147.thumb.jpg.a3b2c490d2d730bff64f844ad6e13c30.jpg

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Yes. I *think* there's an exemption here for a "registered restoration". Whatever that is. I'm confronted by some serious paintwork in the near future and I expect I'll need to choose a non-cellulose option. Any advice?

Talk nicely to a registered restorer and see what they can do for you, Im sure a handful of folding would smooth the way ;)

Stuart.

I didn't say you can't get modern  colours in cellulose just that you aren't supposed to use it on modern cars.

Impossible to police.

I read this on a sign at the paint suppliers earlier this week.

This seems to date from 2004/5 when restrictions on the use of volatile organics solvents. This is referred to on HMG website but the link doesn't work!