Diff Breather TR4A

I've booked my diff into Peter Cox Sports Cars for a look at and refurb, unfortunately it can't be done until early April. In the meantime I thought I would check the Diff breather on the top of the Diff no doubt it is probably blocked. Looking in the manual it describes it as a Cotter Pin !! and washer. I thought it might be some form of plunger that when pressure builds up pushes up to relieve the pressure. Can somebody explain how it works. 

Phil

No. That split pin and washer are as original.   Just be sure the split pin wobbles around in its hole and the washer is free to move.

When it blocks the axle leaks., much the same as the engine and gearbox.

Used to be part of vehicle service procedure.    . Check breathers are clear and operational  

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

One of the things you should wiggle when you check the oil level.

Technically what we call split pins can also be called split cotter pins. (I know we think of cotter pins as the things that attach the pedal crank on a bike)