tr3a starter solenoid problems

Hello ,

I had an original round starter solenoid with a push button on it.  After some persuasion I got the push button to work,  and then also to work when i press the starter button.   But, although there is a loud clunk, no voltage appears on the solenoid to starter terminal.  When measured, and disconnected from the car,  the resistance  between the input and output (battery and starter) terminals on the solenoid reads about 28 ohms when the button is pressed. I presume it should be zero.

I substituted two (2!)   new solenoids of the cheap square type,    and neither make  a click or clunk sound.   Battery fully charged.   

With one of the new solenoids in wired in, I shorted the input and output terminals together and the starter did indeed start spinning. 

Car is positive earth,  but shouldn't make any difference I would have thought.

I am assuming that the old solenoid is broken,    and the 2 new ones are faulty.

Any other thoughts?

Cheers

Dave

====

Are the new solenoids earthed ? if not they will do nothing.  Re the old one, the internal contacts are worn / pitted / dirty.

If you can open it it up you may be able to clean them & get it working again.

Bob

Hi Bob,

Yes a made an earth connection to the new solenoids,    and have put an extra earth strap from body to engine just in case.

Cheers

hello

I took the old solenoid apart (reckon its the original, if not then VERY old),   Should be photos attached.  As you can see, it is very corroded.  Not sure I'll get it back together as I had to bend the casing a bit,   and mostly it just broke off. 

Not surprising it wasn't working too well,    but still better than the new ones!

Dave

DSC_1298.JPG

Cleaned and reassembled with a couple of tie-wraps for now.   Installed and worked first time.  Starter motor spinning,   although not engaged with ring gear by the sound of it, just a sort of metallic ringing/graunching noise. A problem for another day.   Success for today though.

Cheers

Dave