TR3 Lockheed rear axle assembly

When I acquired my CKD Australian assembled TR3 it came with a spare Lockheed axle with all the parts, bearing and seal in the boot. 

I've just been inspecting it all to make sure it is all there and in good condition.

My question is when assembling the axle which way do the parts 51 and 53 go. The 51 that came with the car has a flat and a domed side.image.thumb.png.9d67fb9cb986d14cec8151f8ddc736a4.pngparts 

The  dome into the axle flange, flat against the washer, nut against the washer.

Pushes the whole lot into the flange compressing the splits in the spline to grip the spllne end of half shaft.

Image from the workshop maual

image.png.f6937317bdb56eaceaeb9939328b6acf.png

20 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

The  dome into the axle flange, flat against the washer, nut against the washer.

Pushes the whole lot into the flange compressing the splits in the spline to grip the spllne end of half shaft.

Image from the workshop maual

image.png.f6937317bdb56eaceaeb9939328b6acf.png

Thanks Peter,

My apologies, it is the washer part 53 that is domed one side and flat the other. The flat side goes against part 51??

4 hours ago, John McCormack said:

Thanks Peter,

My apologies, it is the washer part 53 that is domed one side and flat the other. The flat side goes against part 51??

That is how the engineering drawing shews it.   Flat face to the splines collet/collar. Tapering face toward the nut.   There should be a smaller flat on that washer for the nut to seat against 

IMG_2362.jpeg

On 2/16/2024 at 8:36 PM, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

That is how the engineering drawing shews it.   Flat face to the splines collet/collar. Tapering face toward the nut.   There should be a smaller flat on that washer for the nut to seat against 

IMG_2362.jpeg

Thank you. Got it.

My intention is to fit the bearing to the axle so that if I need it it can be easily fitted.

• 1 month later...

Hi, 

sorry if I use Your topic to make a question: is possible to remove and replace a new bearing without removing the part 45/48 ?

I checked and I think my back wheel need a new bearing, I hope it's an "easy" job for a Sunday afternoon.

thanks for help

Max

6 hours ago, Max said:

Hi, 

sorry if I use Your topic to make a question: is possible to remove and replace a new bearing without removing the part 45/48 ?

I checked and I think my back wheel need a new bearing, I hope it's an "easy" job for a Sunday afternoon.

thanks for help

Max

No the flange must be removed from the axle shaft

17 hours ago, Max said:

So, need to remove also brakes and the bearing holder(40/41)?I don't understand if the bearing is in the part "2" or in the bearing holder

No need to dismantle the hydraulics or cables to the brakes.   Brakes can stay in place.   

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/5/2024 at 2:59 PM, Max said:

Everything was easier than I was thinking but I saw the problem is my hub, need to replace it.:wacko:. Why did the hub get broken like this:

IMG_5050.jpeg

Is this a view of the taper collar from the other side of the car against the other  drive flange hub and taper collar?  The drive flange hub has the taper collar fitted in it and needs removing before you refit the drive flange hub.  The splined collar or collet is designed to grip the half shaft spline as the axle nut is tightened.  Note that the torque setting for that nut increased when a later type of nut was fitted.