TR4A temp and petrol gauge not working.

Having converted to a tr6 wiper motor twin speed, new washer motor ,and new washer pipes, switch etc which I am very pleased with the results apart from the fact that the temp and fuel gauge are no longer working. I added this to the post already running on converting to twin speed wipers  on this forum it was suggested I check the wiring.

However I decided to start a new post so it doesn't get lost on the other post which is now up to 5 pages +

Today I have checked the wiring head under dash, etc and because I still have the glove box out I can feel and partially the see the temp gauge and feel the back of the fuel gauge, from what I can see and feel there are no wires off. So I checked the voltage regulator. This is a after market V/Reg I think TRGB said they fitted as part of the recommissioning before I bought the car. Please see the picture below which explains the multimeter readings I got. The wiring colour for the temp and fuel gauge are not light green and green as per the 4A wiring diagram but green and black as per the TR4 wiring diagram in the works manual,as can be seen on the pic I have managed to take of the rear side of the temp gauge. Are these readings correct or could it be the V/Regulator that's at fault.

If not as Roger suggests I will be taking speedo and rev counter out to give me more access. 

Any suggestions as usual gratefully received.

voltage reg with dims.jpg

temp gauge back.JPEG

Edited by phil Dean

Hi Roger the picture shown is of the back of the temp gauge showing a green and black wire  I presume it goes from there to the fuel gauge then to the gauge volt stabiliser am I wrong in thinking the green and black from the gauge volt stabiliser is wired to the temp and fuel gauges. 

Should there be more than 3.8 volts feeding this green and black wire. 

Phil

Yes that’s the one I have been working off but if you look at the one for the 4 not 4A and my picture of the temp gauge it looks like it’s the green and black that goes fuel gauge temp gauge stabiliser. !!!

you can’t see it in the picture of the stabiliser but the wire on the left is green and black. !

Edited by phil Dean

Obviously there should be 10v feeding the gauges. If it only reads 3.8v the stabiliser isn't working properly. The other voltages are fine.  That is a modern stabiliser which should have constant output, not the on/off switching of the original bimetallic type, so the meter should be reading it correctly. 

The stabiliser needs a good earth - worth checking that first. 

Don't get too hung up on the wire colours. Those diagrams are really from US cars and are not infallible - and anything could have been altered over 60 years. 

Edited by RobH

Checked the earth on the gauge volt stabiliser even ran a separate earth temporarily to the door post still only getting 3.9 volts on the  outside. But also had the speedo and rev counter out to further check the wiring everything seams nice and tight on the back of the fuel gauge so everything as gone back and I have ordered a new volt stabiliser from TRGB fingers crossed that should solve it. Hopefully maybe  :wacko:

Phil 

Reeeeeesult it was the gauge volt stabilizer as soon as I had plugged it in and earthed i I switched the ignition on and the fuel gauge started to rise. :D

Took it out for a drive and everything seams to be working fine including good wipers and washers. A couple of weeks of now might even get out for a decent drive in it before I start taking the Diff out. :huh:

Thanks to everybody who helped me on the  wiper conversion with good sound advice especially Roger and Rob H and Jim for supplying the drawing for the base plate which I took and modified. The advice I have had from the forum on this and the Alternator conversion alone justifies membership to the TR Register. 

Phil. 

Excellent Phil - but how odd that it should fail just at the time you were working on something else!  Murphy's law works in peculiar ways....