Always something to learn

About two years ago I bought a switch for my wiper modification. 

When I got it home it was useless. The two positions had melted into a mish mash.  Not Good.   

However it didn't affect what I wanted to do.

A month or so later I bumped into the man who knows these parts and said that box of switches was being sent back as they were no good.

Today I have been making switches that do things they shouldn't. When I finished the first one it was horrible to operate - just like the ones above.

OK, take it all apart,. scratch head.   After a couple of minutes fiddling I found the problem. 

The BHA4578 switch has two flat plates held down by two springs. The toggle/pull action moves these plates 'over centre' to give the switching effect.

But, if the bottom of the plate is in the wrong position it turns into a mish mash.  So fault found and problem solved.

I could fix all the above switches but sadly they were all sent away for the bin. 

Roger

• 1 month later...

I watched Elin Yakov (Rusty Beauties) do a switch repair.

From memory, rather like our drum backplate's handbrake linkage issue, a groove had worn in the switch component, causing it to operate badly/lopsided.

Addressing the groove cleared the problem!

Another one (from someone else) on a 'modern' Mercedes with a badly performing/broken cup holder.

A metal pin needed pushing back into place.

'Normal function' restored immediately, avoiding (probably) a new cup holder assembly!

So many things can be recovered if you have :- a) time and b) the will

YouTube is your friend for many repair jobs. 

i find especially useful when there are hidden fasteners or fixings.