R.i.P Peter Buckles

When TS2 was circulating round the Local Groups some years ago, Pete drove the car from the service area on the M25 back to his home in Beaconsfield. 

I followed him most of the way, and it was the only occasion I saw him drive a TR.

Pete (stillp) is quite correct - we owe him more than we reallise.   Without his foresight, business acumen and drive, TRs (and other old vehicles) would be far fewer.

Ian Cornish

I remember in the 1970s when British Leyland folded parts for my TR6 were very hard to get with nowhere near me had stock,

I remember having to travel to Cox And Buckles Birmingham, did they sell to MOSS   ? yes in 1989.

Edited by Gordon Bayley

Via an indirect route from Sam Buckles, Pete's daughter, I have received this notification concerning Pete's cremation at Amersham on 25th January.

Chiltern Crematorium lies on the A404, southwest of Amersham.  There is limited parking on the site - this I know having been there on a number of occasions.

Webcast details for the service of Peter Alexander Buckles at 14:30 (GMT) on Thursday 25th January, at Chilterns Crematorium, Amersham,HP7 0ND.

There will be a live webcast of the service on thiis website:

https://watch.obitus.com

Username

xihu5572

Password

Ian Cornish

Edited by ianc

I would just like to add……

I first met Pete in around 1972. I had just bought a TR3a for £220 from a register member in Catford. Apart from generally “tatty” it went well but the engine was breathing heavily and smoked.

I had arranged to go on holiday to St Austell on the Monday and this was Saturday at Pete’s house. Got new pistons and liners, gaskets and a selection of big end shell sizes, with bring back what you don’t use.

So all day Sunday, with wife doubting that she will ever see Cornwall but late evening the sound of the TR could be heard all over Twickenham.

Anyway…..Pete also advised me of a meeting at the Windmill on Clapham Common and said come along and show me your car……so I did and met a number of other, sadly no longer with us, members.

Both Petes must have either had great foresight of the future classic car movement or sheer luck as they risked their personal finances and careers to support a crowd of long haired, bell bottomed jeans, no money individuals who were running old banger sports cars, usually on a shoe string to get from one pub to another. The cars at that time having a value of £200-£300 for a ‘good’n’. So there wasn’t a lot of room for investment.

so RIP Pete and condolences to your family. If it wasn’t for you and others like you I certainly wouldn’t still be driving about in my £220 TR3a.

• 2 weeks later...

For those who were unable to attend the event, the reccording is available on-line (see above for details).

I use the term event, for it was quite unlike any other "funeral" which I have attended, and the room was packed by about 200, a number having to stand.   

However, Sam,Pete'sis elder daughter, correctly called it a Celebration, which was full of stories and frequently was amusing.   Although I had known Pete for almost 54 years, I learnt a great deal more about Pete.

As we left, each of us was handed a booklet full of the photos which had been displayed on the screen.

I hope that the next TR Action (#350 due at end of March, not the one I have just received) will contain a full appreciation of Pete, without whom there would be far fewer running TRs in the world, and the TR Register would be a much smaller and rather insignificant  club.   We have so much for which to thank Pete.

Ian Cornish

Thanks for pointing us to the U tube stream. I spent a good and even entertaining hour and a half watching the ‘event’ as you call it - indeed it was an event compete with its own eccentricities. Nothing poe faced!

I too learned a lot of his life and times - I never knew he was a graduate of Cambridge University - King’s College what’s more. I would imagine his time there would have marked a few of his contemporaries for life!

james

Just as an update, I along with many other TR members attended Pete's funeral last Thursday. A great turn out with over 250 people present paying their respects to the man.  A great life lived to the very end. 

hoges.