Door window removal & refitting.

Hi, 

I’m thinking of replacing the wind up windows on my ‘6 as they are badly scuffed by the hood frame rubbers, and not too dear to buy new.

My question is: is there any easy way to remove and replace the glass, or am I condemned to removing a lot of periferal gubbins to do this. Can the glass be prised out of the bottom holder in place?

One of my most disliked jobs is working on these fiddly doors. 

Is there a good “ how to “ guide on t’net?

Cheers

Mike

Edited by mleadbeater

Theres no easy way to do it successfully, you do need to strip the glass out of the door, note where on the glass the bottom slide bracket is located then prise it off and fit to the new glass in the same place, be aware some repro glasses are thinner. Also make sure you get a 5/6 glass as the 4/4a is different. Just be thankful your doing it on a 6 as 4/4a ones are a lot more fiddly to do.

Stuart.

I don't know of any online instructions. Make sure that you procure some new rubber strip that goes into the bottom guide, the old one will inevitably have perished. You may be able to prise the glass out of the guide in place but putting the new glass into the rubber strip will not be possible. Mine required the attention of a mallet. It is a lot easier on the bench, I wouldn't recommend doing it in situ.

Good luck

Tom

I feel your pain!

One job that is a true pain in the butt for me so while you are in there and wishing you hadn't started it attend to the felt channels and check for slop in the winder mechanism.

Have fun and allow yourself lots of tea breaks.

Andy