Fitting poly bushes to rear swinging arms.

I am in the process of fitting Poly bushes to the rear swinging arms of my 73 CR TR6 . The Poly Bushes are have different ends. One end has a chamfered bullet end and the other end has slightly wider flange. My Swinging arms bush holes have a slight recessed step one side of each hole. It would appear that the recess might be to fit  the wider flange side of the poly bush. Is that right??  What is the correct way round to fit them. I really don't want to have take them out if get it wrong as the old ones were a pig to  remove!!!!!! Following a thread on tr5 forum- poly bushes should be fitted with soap and water not grease. However I would also very  much  welcome any tips on fitting the poly bushes and inner metal tubes. 

By the way, check the swinging arm brackets if doing this job! At least one of mine is cracked ! Common apparently !

Many thanks for any information.

MARK 

Were the original bushes still in the arms? Looks like you may well have left the outer metal ring of the bush still in the arm.

Stuart.

Hi Mark

I fitted Superpro bushes about 4 years ago. I think the Superpro ones are bullet shaped at both ends so didn't really matter which way they went in. The bullet shape makes it easier to install into the recessed side of the TA. However I would check the measurement from the flange to the outside of the bush & make sure ends of the bush are the same dimension. From memory the bushes went into the TA fairly easily (a lot easier than removing the old ones) but I did have a tool to wind them in. Installing the TA was quite tight between the brackets with the new bushes.  My TA looked the same as yours, I took what looks like a metal ring to be machine marks  - Ive just checked the remnants of the old bush (I can't throw anything away !) & they didn't have an outer metal ring or if they did it's still in the TA. I stand to be corrected but either way after 4 years they've took no harm and the suspension works fine.

Alan

Replying to my original post I contacted those helpful people at TRGB.  They fit the Poly Bushes with the wider flange towards the outside of the car on each side. They do not use any grease, only washing up liquid to fit them using a bench vice. They also said that they have to carefully drill out the older type rubber bushes in order to remove them, sometimes ! I certainly did !!

In respect of the cracking swinging arm brackets, another of our local Group members sent me a picture of his TR6 swinging arm bracket which was broken in half and not evident until he removed the swinging arm !!! Stay safe !

MARK

15 hours ago, MARK said:

Replying to my original post I contacted those helpful people at TRGB.  They fit the Poly Bushes with the wider flange towards the outside of the car on each side. They do not use any grease, only washing up liquid to fit them using a bench vice. They also said that they have to carefully drill out the older type rubber bushes in order to remove them, sometimes ! I certainly did !!

In respect of the cracking swinging arm brackets, another of our local Group members sent me a picture of his TR6 swinging arm bracket which was broken in half and not evident until he removed the swinging arm !!! Stay safe !

MARK

Have you checked if the original steel outer bush has been removed?

Stuart.