Steering rack tie rod installation

I have been given a TR6 Steering rack in poor condition. One of the gators was missing allowing a tie rod to seize solid. A bit of heat allowed disassembly. I've cleaned up the tie rod ball and am trying to put it back together. I am confused about the shims that are inserted between the "adapter" and the plastic cup. If one tightens the adapter the whole thing locks up as the shims press directly on the cup and do not create a space for "end float". The torque setting is 80 ftlbs but against what is it pressing? What are the shims for?  Any explanation would be welcome

Screenshot 2023-11-25 at 15.36.09.png

Take the spring out first, put some of the shims in and tighten the nut to the torgue mentioned, see how much movement you have as by the book, if its too sloppy add a shim or two and try again, when happy remove the nut and put in the spring then retighten the nut and lock the tab over.

That's how I read it, perhaps other have a different way

John

Have a look here 

Suspect more or less the same rack which will hopefully help you out.

Andy

11 minutes ago, roughground said:

Thanks for the info. It looks like the right solution however the video is just a series of stills with a running commentary. Is that what you see?

No it runs as a video for me.

But if you go on you tube and look for the Rusting Beauties channel and the 1969 GT6 it should be there and run for you.

The video eventually was able to play. Thank you. However I found the problem was a small burr on the inside of the cup nut. A little gentle sanding with 600 paper allowed the nut and adapter to close up with a very small amount of end float. A 2 thou shimmer did the trick and I now have free movement with no decreeable free play and the rack is now ready to fit!