VW indicator light

My Passat has a light in the wing mirror on the LHS. I need to take it out and fit a new one. The existing has two small screws which hold it in place. They are rusted up and the Torx screwdriver will not turn them. 

I need some help from the forum Please

Richard & B

Hi Richard,

does the Torx driver not work because they are too tight or they have been mangled?

If too tight -0 start of with a decent penetrating fluid - PlusGas,  FreeWay etc  NOT WD40 

If they still do not turn then  you may need to resort to drilling the heads off - but they may cause chaos when you get it off and see what further work is required.

Roger

Thanks for the reply. The screws have rusted so that the Torx driver has no grip at all.  There is np room for any pliers etc. I can get the drill in on one side but the second screw is hard to reach. 

I could destroy the light fitting but that might cause more damage. If I am successful where can I buy two small screws that would fit into the new plastic indicator light ?

Is there a VW forum ??

Richard & B.

Hi Richard

One for the future- for years whenever I have recycled old electrical items I have stripped them down and saved potentially useful items including small screws, brackets etc. I now have a varied assortment of small screws and can usually find some that will do the job. You might struggle to buy just 2 screws and will probably end up with a pack of 100 such is modern life. Your VW dealer might be able to help.

In your case I would follow Rogers suggestion of a decent penetrating oil over a couple of days. Then if the screws are dome head see if you can cut a slot with a junior hacksaw blade in the head and you then could maybe get a penknife blade in the slot and turn it. Without a photo not sure if you could do this. Alternatively a soldering iron on the screw head to heat it up a fraction might loosen it. Take care not to get it so hot you melt the plastic bits. 

Good luck

Keith

The inside of the wing mirror is small and it is almost impossible to use any tools other than a Screwdriver. I will try with some small pliers next and  I have put some penetrating oil and will be out there in a day or two. If it gets colder I will have to wait until the MOT which is due at the end of January. But I don't want to waste Christmas worrying about the VW.

Thanks for the help so far

Richard & B