I have decided to fit Steel wheels to my 3A. According to the Rimmer catalogue there are 3 versions of the steel wheels,

4" up to TS13045,

4.5" from TS 13046 up to 4A then

5" for the 5 and 250

Bill Piggott's book lists 4" for early TR2s then superseded by 4.5" as they are stronger. The 4" were found to be not strong enough.

I have managed to obtain 2 sets steel wheels that were advertised as TR5 wheels but both are measuring 4.5" between the rim and stamped 4.5" Sankey and welded not riveted.

I want 4.5" but all a bit confusing

I cant see myself cleaning wire wheels indefinitely as good as they look, its like punishment not pleasure.

any thoughts??

Hi,

All TR's from the TR2 to the TR4A were fitted with 4J x 15" steel wheels with the rim and centre section riveted together plus short pips to hold the chrome knave plate.

At regular intervals around the circumference of the well base these wheels are normally hard stamped  4J x 15 L.

To date I have not found out what the L designates or refers to.............?

When the TR5 and TR250 models were introduced they had 4.1/2J x 15 steel wheels - Part number 309288.

On these steel wheels the rim and centre section were spot welded together and again had short pips onto which the Rostyle trims were fitted.

These wheels are also hard stamped at regular intervals around the circumference of the well base  41/2J x 15 H.

As an aside the Register Archive hold a copy of the original Standard Triumph drawing for this same steel wheel which is dated 1st January 1967.

The Standards Manual of the European Tyre and Rim Technical Organisation states the "H" means that the outer edge of the wheel - the bead seat - has a hump formed in it, the 'hump' is actually a bump put on the bead seat (for the bead) to prevent the tyre from sliding off the rim while the vehicle is moving.

The inner bead seat is noted as being "normal" which I assume to mean it is flat and no bump, probably because this inner bead seat is much wider and thus the tyre bead cannot slide that far.

The TR5 was advertised and sold as having tubeless tyres when fitted with steel wheels.

I have a set of original TR5 steel wheels - I acquired them from a one owner TR5, the owner had changed to wire wheels about one year after purchasing the car, each of these wheels is stamped on the inner face of the well  4.1/2 J x 15 H and they each do have "a hump" 

Regards, Richard

1 hour ago, RAHTR4 said:

Hi,

All TR's from the TR2 to the TR4A were fitted with 4J x 15" steel wheels with the rim and centre section riveted together plus short pips to hold the chrome knave plate.

At regular intervals around the circumference of the well base these wheels are normally hard stamped  4J x 15 L.

When the TR5 and TR250 models were introduced they had 4.1/2J x 15 steel wheels - Part number 309288.

On these steel wheels the rim and centre section were spot welded together and again had short pips onto which the Rostyle trims were fitted.

These wheels are also hard stamped at regular intervals around the circumference of the well base  41/2J x 15 H.

As an aside the Register Archive hold a copy of the original Standard Triumph drawing for this same steel wheel which is dated 1st January 1967.

The Standards Manual of the European Tyre and Rim Technical Organisation states the "H" means that the outer edge of the wheel - the bead seat - has a hump formed in it, the 'hump' is actually a bump put on the bead seat (for the bead) to prevent the tyre from sliding off the rim while the vehicle is moving.

The inner bead seat is noted as being "normal" which I assume to mean it is flat and no bump, probably because this inner bead seat is much wider and thus the tyre bead cannot slide that far.

The TR5 was advertised and sold as having tubeless tyres when fitted with steel wheels.

I have a set of original TR5 steel wheels - I acquired them from a one owner TR5, the owner had changed to wire wheels about one year after purchasing the car, each of these wheels is stamped on the inner face of the well  4.1/2 J x 15 H and they each do have "a hump" 

Regards, Richard

Many thanks for that.

Still confusing unfortunately as both Bill Piggott's book and the Rimmer catalogue lists it all differently.

I have only 1 x 4" wheel and those appear far more available than the 4.5" ones.

I will restore the 4.5" ones and see how I go with those for the moment.

I haven't noticed a hump but will have another check.

2 hours ago, RAHTR4 said:

Hi,

Regards, Richard

I have just checked the wheels I have.

The 4" are marked 15L

The 4.5" are marked 15H

None of them have a hump on the rim to help keep the tyre on as modern wheels do. I assume those would all need tubes in so the tyres wont come off the rim into the central well

Hi,

The information I have quoted is correct, as time has moved on additional information becomes available which increases our knowledge however the original Bill Piggott books have never been revised, nor likely to be, also the Rimmer information has not been re-visited.

I have attached an article which Bill Piggott wrote and was published in TRaction in the early 2000's which describes his revised views on the matter of Steel Wheels.

As for the wheels you have those stamped 4.1/2 J x 15 H are TR5 wheels and will have the hump present and thus will be suitable for tubeless tyres.

The actual hump is not that large, which did surprise me so is not easy to spot, the H denotes that it will be a single hump and it will positioned very close to the edge of the Well. I have attached part of a Wheel Specification Document which describes "Humps" which has a diagram showing its location.

Regards, Richard

Hump Profile on Steel Wheel.png

Bill Piggott Revised Steel Wheel Information - June 2008.PDF

Many thanks for that for all that information

I will continue with these wheels as I now have them and fit either 155 x 15 radials or 550 x 15 cross ply blockley tyres (I have blockleys on my MG and am very pleased with them) That will give ease of cleaning and lighter steering as I have 185 x 15 on at the moment with chrome wires.

I have attached a picture of the wheels I have and my TR they will be going on1237337387_2023-09-1714_45.34-1.jpg.474f78a26cfab334d1f41b7d4ad1bba3.jpg1787102923_trwheel.thumb.jpg.7019d69c7127d99b6b4967619e8f3fc2.jpg. Just need blasting and painting next

keith

I have a set of wheels reputedly from a TR5 and they are marked 4.5J x 15H with no sign of a hump whatsoever.  I have been advised to use tubes with these wheels for safety reasons even though they are spot welded together.

Cheers

Richard

48 minutes ago, Dic Doretti said:

I have a set of wheels reputedly from a TR5 and they are marked 4.5J x 15H with no sign of a hump whatsoever.  I have been advised to use tubes with these wheels for safety reasons even though they are spot welded together.

Cheers

Richard

Mine would appear the same and I will probably use tubes also. Mine are marked 4.5 x 15H but no evidence of a humps.

Keith

• 3 weeks later...