I took the TR3A out last week end to the local group Sunday lunch. My car was one of only two TR and there were more than 25 people  in the group. It was raining and I had to use the wipers for about 2.5 miles. The drivers wiper moved well to the LHS and the RHS and parked up. But there was a mechanical crunch in the wheel box area behind the dashboard ,  as the drivers wiper arm reached the point at which it changes direction and moves back the other way. It may be that the actual wheel box has damage or the actual rack may have a worn place. It is possible to move it by hand but a small movement at the wiper mounting shows as much more at the end of the actual blade itself

Has anyone here repaired this problem and can offer me advice ? I am not pressed for time because I will not be out in the rain for a while. If it is dry tomorrow I will try some dismantling.

Pleas advise if you can.

Richard & B

Hi Richard,

not sure what access  is like but on the 4A removal of the speedo and tacho helps a great deal.

It sounds like the wheel box has  gone dicky. A tedious job, Just take it slowly.

The TRshop do good wheel boxes. They may be the same as Moss 

Good luck

Roger

Thanks for the advice so far. Today I removed the RHS wiper arm and fired up the wipers. The splined connection was moving in an arc but at each end it was making a noise and lifting up . Is there any adjustment that I can make or is it a new wheel box ??

Thanks Richard & B

Hi Richard,

the rack is located onto the gear wheel with a flange bent over to hold in place.

This bent flange can wear and allow the rack to jump a tooth or attempt to.

It may be possible to bend the flange a little to contain the rack but it is trial and error.

A new wheelbox is the best route.  Apprx £40

Roger

The wheel boxes on my TR6 are worn, and to rectify the sloppy wiper action I did the following

1. Remove the wiper arms and slowly withdraw the cable and mark the top with a felt marker pen

2. Mark the top of the top most spline on the wiper spindles with a felt marker pen.

3. Turn the wiper spindles 180 degrees.

4. Carefully replace the cable with the mark now on the bottom.

You will now have an unworn section of the wheel  boxes and cable doing the work and as new wiper action. 

George