Crank rear lip seal

Hi Folks,

the Christian Marx crank rear lip seal appears to be sold by all and sundry.

Are they all actual Christian Marx seals - or just simply copies.

If copies how good are they   and where can you buy an original CM seal.

Roger 

The last 2 I bought were from TRShop and labelled Bastuck. Both fitted and working as expected.  Will be fitting another next month to a TR3 engine with weeping fig 8 s

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
29 minutes ago, Lebro said:

As above, TR shop - I only bought the seal, & modified the existing scroll pieces, but the seal was fine, leak free.

Bob

I recall you doing that mod.  Can you link me to it as it will save me having to re invent the wheel    I guess you produced a flat plate to hold the original seal assy and just turned the lip oil seal housing area.  

Mad Marx splitseal.pdf

I just did what was detailed in this original instruction document.

The split halves were simply held in a 3 jaw chuck by the step at the right hand side (in the diagram) took a bit of juggling to get it all lined up & concentric, but once held tight the machining was straightforward.

Bob

Edited by Lebro
5 hours ago, Lebro said:

Mad Marx splitseal.pdf 1.04 MB · 4 downloads

The split halves were simply held in a 3 jaw chuck by the step at the right hand side (in the diagram) took a bit of juggling to get it all lined up & concentric, but once held tight the machining was straightforward.

Bob

Thank you Bob.   That will be next week’s game.   Now where is my old scroll seal assy……

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
5 hours ago, Lebro said:

Mad Marx splitseal.pdf 1.04 MB · 12 downloads

Bob

Just looked at my chucks and the jaws are not deep enough to safely grip the outer surface of the aluminium  seal halves.    Metal mounting plate will be the next step I guess as I do not have a suitable chunk of plastic to machine as Marx did.    What about a lump of MDF?

1 hour ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Just looked at my chucks and the jaws are not deep enough to safely grip the outer surface of the aluminium  seal halves.    Metal mounting plate will be the next step I guess as I do not have a suitable chunk of plastic to machine as Marx did.    What about a lump of MDF?

Just ordered 1”; of steel cds tube 3.75” I’d.  X   4.125”. Od.   That’ll do it for holding in the chuck.