Wiper motor wiring.

The Wiper motor on my 250 is 1 speed but has a 2 speed switch. Having removed the dash it is obvious 1 of the wires red/light green has been snipped. The other colour are blue and light green and brown and light green. I attach a photo of the motor, is it 2 speed and if so which wire goes where on the switch.

20231007_135238.jpg

20231007_135657.jpg

That looks like a single speed DR3 motor Phil.  The wiring colours are used very oddly - someone has certainly 'been at' that and re-used the original wires for other purposes.   The two speed DR3a motor has flying-lead connections not a connector block. 

As it is now, the top wires to the screw terminal are earth 

The top spade on terminal 2 is 12v power 

The lower spade on terminal 1 is connected to earth by the on/off switch. 

Edited by RobH
  • 2 weeks later...

I am a little confused with this. The wiper motor is stamped DR3A A green wire goes to no2 terminal. A blue wire to no1. The earth has a brown and light green wire as well as a black. Red and green has been cut, same as the switch end.

20231019_120907.jpg

Just an update the loom looks  genuine in that all cables are bound in. The blue wire, on closer inspection is actually blue and light green, not an original wiper motor colour i assume. At the switch end we have 3  wires

blue/light green, brown/light green, green and a cut red/light green. At the motor end brown/light green is earthed with black. with the other 2 cables going to the block marked 1&2.

57 minutes ago, Phil Read said:

I have solved the blue wire problem. The car has a TR6 loom. The tr6 has a blue/light green wire from switch to motor. I therefore assume the motor may have had the wrong cover plate on and is only 1 speed.

Phil - the numbers 8 64 stamped in the case indicate this was made in August 1964 so as you surmise, almost certainly a single speed, possibly from a TR4 - these single speed motors had lucar terminals on the end casing for connecting the wires - the later 2 speed motors had 3 wires coming out of the casing encapsulated in a black plastic sleeve, with bullet connectors on the end. These motors are not common and therefore expensive if you can find one - you will almost certainly be better off fitting a TR6 motor and it sound like you have the wiring already there -  I think you may need to change your wiper boxes to TR6 ones but Roger Hogarth is the man who knows all these answers and can probably do you a wiper switch as well

Cheers Rich

Hi Phil

Both the DR3 and DR3A motors are quite poor performers.

They do not like dry screens and should the blades stick on the screen the motor will burn out.

If you are not too bothered about originality then changing over to the TR6 14W motor is an excellent modification.

If you are stuck on going for the 2 speed DR3 then please do change ALL the wiring to stock colours - otherwise you will revisit this problem time and again.

Roger

17 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi Phil

Both the DR3 and DR3A motors are quite poor performers.

They do not like dry screens and should the blades stick on the screen the motor will burn out.

If you are not too bothered about originality then changing over to the TR6 14W motor is an excellent modification.

If you are stuck on going for the 2 speed DR3 then please do change ALL the wiring to stock colours - otherwise you will revisit this problem time and again.

Roger

I considered a TR6 motor but the mountings appear compelety different.

Re: mountings, I have had a look a a couple of you tube videos showing how to make new mountings so I am a little more confident in changing the motor from DR3 to TR6.

With regard to the wiper gear, will the DR3A gear fit straight into the tr6 wiper motor?

Hi Phil,

if you change to the TR6 14W motor then you will need the following

Motor - 14W  available on Ebay  or here https://www.s-v-c.co.uk/products/lrw110-lucas-14w-2-speed-wiper-motor

90 or 95 degree gear wheel   LULRW90 or 95.  see above

Mini loom  to attach motor to existing loom  HERE

Switch - not sure what switches are fitted to a TR250  - there is a toggle switch   https://www.s-v-c.co.uk/products/35927-lucas-flick-switch-2-speed-wiper#pic1

or I can do a TR4A pull switch for £32.  No sure  what options are out there

Just looked at the Moss site - and I see it is a rectangular rocker

Before you start make sure the switch will operate the 14W motor.

The wheel boxes are the same  as the TR4A and will work fine with the  90/95 gearwheel.

Roger

PS - I've just seen that your switch is the same as the TR6 switch so it must work.

Edited by RogerH