HS6 float chamber lid

Just scratching head. I want to fit a long-ish Pipercross or Ramair air filter baseplate to serve both carbs, either with a box fllter or maybe an airbox. But as things stand it will fall foul of the rear carb petrol inlet. But then I wondered... is it possible simply to fit the carb float chamber lid in a rotated position so that the fuel pipe comes in from aft, rather than from the offside as currently? 

(I'm mindful of course of the issues of bringing the fuel pipework nearer the exhaust.)

Thanks... Nigel

image.png.ae48fa6410c8c79f8f29f860aa26ee34.png

If the float chamber is level/vertical I can see no reason why not Nigel.   If it is tilted it might affect the fuel level in the jet .  

SU make a variety of lids with different inlet arrangements so it isn't critical:

https://sucarb.co.uk/float-chambers-spares/float-lid-assemblies/hs-float-lids.html

Thanks Rob. Yes I'd seen those various options, I just wondered if I can get away with just turning the one I have through 120 or 240 degrees (the lid having three screws). Sounds like it should work then, I'll give it a go when I'm with the car again.

Nigel

Hi Nigel,

on 2 rear HS6 carbs I own (one in the car, one as a spare) the lid looks different.

My petrol inlets point to 19:30 and not to 18:00, only possible with another (wrong or correct) float chamber.

If wanted I can make / post a photo

Ciao, Marco 

Many thanks chaps. Sounds like I have options then. Jerry - if I can't make the one I have work in a suitable orientation, I'll give you a shout. Just heading away for a week so will be having a poke at it when I get back.

Cheers all

Nigel