Reversing lamp switch

4VC has a reversing lamp switch mounted on the panel between the dashboard and the H bracket.

For some unknown reason, I found that the switch had broken apart during the recent gearbox/overdrive transplant.

The switch is a simple pull/push unit, with a very small bulb inside its screw-on knob.  When activated, a white light is displayed through the knob.

As can be seen, the switch has broken into 2 major pieces - the remaining small section has disappeared.

There is no identification whatsoever, but I know it was fitted early in 1962.

I have been searching for a replacement, but to no avail thus far.

Might someone know where I could find a replacement?

In the meantime, I am going to see whether I can Superglue it together, probably with a strap round the body to prevent it flying apart (which is what happens when I pull the knob).

Now that I have a switch on the gearbox cover, I no longer actually require a switch in the cockpit, but I don't wish to  sacrifice originality.  At the very least, I would like to have a light inside the cockpit indicating that my reversing lamps are lit.  To achieve this, I could modify this broken unit to act as an indicator only, or replace it with a lamp showing a white light (any suggestion for that?).

Ian Cornish

IMG_6226-1280.jpg

IMG_6229-1280.jpg

Wow - a swift response from my friend Tony Sheach, who is going to send me one tomorrow.

In addition, another even older old friend, Neil Revington, tells me he has some, should I ever need another..

Looks as if I am sorted.

Ian Cornish

If it was not an original rally car I’d just ditch that switch and add a gearbox activated unit/ switch. .  Ala TR5/6. Works nicely on my old shed. 

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Ah, Peter, I have a gearbox actuated switch, added about 3 years ago by Cox & Son, but I don't want to leave a blank hole on the switch plate.

The old-fashioned pull switch completes the array of extra switches for spotlamps (3 of these - left, right, master) and map reading lamp.

Ian Cornish