Engine & Gearbox refit advice

Morning Guys, all works on the engine are now finished and its my understanding probably best to put the gearbox and engine together on the garage floor and lift and put back in the car together. Exhaust is removed as is the cross tube as both of these got in the way when we removed the lump a few weeks ago. Will keep the front crank ext etc off until engines back in.

What I'm not sure about is how to jack the car to make refit as easy as possible. Im lucky and have an ezi car lift so could raise the whole car a few feet while keeping engine bay unobstructed. But the car would be level and not sure if  its best to raise the rear on axle stands ?

I know some of you have much experience doing this so help very welcome. 
Thanks

Nige 

D733B4C3-FBC1-4E64-A0D3-4C2504FDE31E.jpeg

Hi Nige,

The Eng/Gb will go in with the car horizontal.   If you have a balacer/leveler bar that would help a lot  Here

Many folk have raised the back so the eng/GB  take on a more level orientation. -  sounds good.

Tie a rope to the GB tail to help guide it through.

Once you have it in the air it will all make sense.

Roger

Nige I’ve done this a few times recently and on the floor is probably easiest - the balance bar that Roger refers to is great as the angle of the engine / box assembly needs to change once the end of the gearbox gets inside the bulkhead, so as you go back you allow the whole lot to get horizontal once it’s cleared the headlamp panel. It’s worth buying one as it will save lots of paint damage which is considerably more expensive in time and money to sort out later.

I sit engines on the floor regularly, but so so on a wide plank of 3/4 inch plywood. Just make sure there are no bits of grit, old nuts etc on the sump or board as they will dent or punch through it. 

regards

Tony 

3 minutes ago, NigeS said:

Many thanks for the help guys. When fitting the gearbox do I need to tie the clutch lever with a cable tie? I read this recently but I cant understand why I would need to do this?  

When fitting the box then its best to tie it forwards.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

Why tie it forward guys, doesn't feel like it can move very easily by hand ? Probably im not seeing it till I do it. Just while on. While engine I'm putting new steering rack gators on. Replacing track rod ends but noticed passenger side is an old type with nipple. Have ordered 2 ordinary ones from TRGB. There not handed, have I missed smething? Thanks

The balance bar (also known as a load leveller) makes putting the engine/gearbox back as a unit easier. 

If you do the job with the car on a lift, make sure the lift doesn’t interfere with the base of the engine hoist and stop it moving as you push it backwards to insert the engine/gearbox.