Gearbox noise in reverse

This morning my TR3 made a nasty noise when backing out of the garage. It appears to be from the gearbox or maybe the clutch. wasn't there at the start but started after a few seconds. The car moves normally. No problems in forward gears.

I took it for a good long drive yesterday to have coffee with club members. No noises, including reversing out of a parking spot at my destination.

Not sure if it is the clutch but suspect the box. 

Just when I have the box out of the TR6. Damn

Noises in reverse, any ideas to start looking at?

I just put the car back in the garage and the gearbox is making bad noises rolling backwards with the clutch in. Forward is still ok.

More analysis, it isn't stuck in overdrive. Sounds like a gear tooth is missing.

Edited by John McCormack

Overdrive ?   if it get inadvertantly engaged in reverse the one way clutch will try to stop you going backwards.

If it is worn the it might allow movement, but will be complaining !

Bob

Thanks Bob.

Unfortunately, not the overdrive. It is engaging and disengaging normally.

With the car on axle stands all is fine in the forward gears, overdrive working normally.

With overdrive off put the car in reverse and the rear wheels turn as per normal but it sounds like a tooth missing on a gear. A regular knock knock knock from the gear box.

Mayb the reverse gear has lost a tooth.

Could be a lost tooth.  
Do not drive or you could be in for..(fanfare) 

The Golden Trio.

Reverse, First, Laygear.

So named as the cost to replace all three is eye watering. (About £700.00 for just 3 parts)

Do as suggested.   Lift the lid and fish inside.   You can spin the reverse idler gear by hand and check for dental integrity 

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT