Set of 5 off 4J Steel Wheels with 4 wheel hubs suit TR2 to TR4A.  Bit rusty but would clean up.  £50 for collection only from Sevenoaks, Kent. Contact via PM for more info.   David B

wheels1.jpg

wheels2.jpg

wheel rim size.jpg

Edited by David B2

Just had a look. Rivets found viewed from rear of wheel and inside the well. see photo if that's what you mean.  Is that good or bad ?  Does it affect use and/or price ?

David B

1501507617_Wheelrivets.thumb.jpg.738c594bd218a76264ab97f0afef313f.jpg 

13 hours ago, Lebro said:

It indicates early wheels, not necessarily a bad thing. Others may have better knowledge !

Bob

Did not the rivet construction be replaced by welding when tubeless tyres were specified to ensure air tightness of the rim.   I guess there is a modern goop that can be painted on to ensure air tightness now.  As used on spoke wheels and leaky alloys.

I'm not sure exactly when the rivets were replaced by welding, Bill P's book suggests they were found to be a weakness (when racing) but were any 4" rims welded ? I know the TR5 4.5" were 

Bob 

Edited by Lebro

Although one can never be definitive my understanding is that TR2-4A had the same 4J wheels which were riveted, 41/2J welded came in with TR5 but I guess there could have been some overlap.

Previous threads have discussed tubeless tyres and the consensus seemed to be that wheels suitable for tubeless had an H suffix (TR6 were 51/2J H).  This suggests that the 4J rims were not suitable for tubeless, however I am aware of at least one 1955 TR2 which had tubeless tyres specified in the build record.

Mike.  

For many years I ran tubeless tyres on TR5 rims with no problems, those same tyres are now on my TR6 rims. (yes, I know the time has probably come to re-new them ! but they still grip just fine)

Bob

• David B2 changed the title to TR2 to TR4A Steel Wheels, 4J. Gone

Important Information

Please familiarise yourself with our Terms and Conditions. By using this site, you agree to the following: Terms of Use.