Gearbox removal

I've removed many TR2/3 gearboxes but not the TR6.

I've got it to just the upper bellhousing bolts to remove and have a locally made gearbox crane to remove the box through the passenger door. It looks to be a tight fit.

Will the gearbox come out through the passenger door without removing the dash?

Edited by John McCormack

Yes, there is just enough space to take out a J type box but i normally take it through towards the drivers side door. 

2 hours ago, elclem1 said:

Yes, there is just enough space to take out a J type box but i normally take it through towards the drivers side door. 

Thank you. This is a J type od box.

Why towards the driver's door? 

A Register member here made this crane for removing/replacing the gearbox. Originally made for TR2/3 I've used it numerous rimes on my sidescreen cars. It has also been used by others on T4/5/6.

Wheel it in through the passenger door, wrap the loop around the gearbox/od joint, use the jack to take the load, slide the gearbox backwards free of the engine, tilt it slightly to allow the clutch actuator to clear the floor, wheel it out through the passenger door.

IMG_2794.jpg

IMG_2795.jpg

I don't have a crane but i do have a big ex rugby player to help. It takes us about 1/2 hour to remove a box. Never been through the passenger door always the drivers, maybe passenger side is easier?     

24 minutes ago, elclem1 said:

I don't have a crane but i do have a big ex rugby player to help. It takes us about 1/2 hour to remove a box. Never been through the passenger door always the drivers, maybe passenger side is easier?     

Ahh, your car would be left hand drive. I'm in Australia with right hand drive so I am going out through the same door as you.

It took me a lot more than that to get to this stage. Remove; seats, tunnel (stuck down with sealant, tail shaft, clutch slave, starter motor, gearbox mount. Photograph the od wiring and prop up with timber packing under the sump.

Still to attach the crane, undo remaining bolts, protect the floor, hopefully slide the box out.

Edited by John McCormack
16 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

With my crane similar to above it takes me towards two hours to have a box on the floor without any strain or risk, and I’m seventy- and was never built like a rugby player 

John

I'm also 70 (in a few months) and smaller than a rugby player. I've spent probably two hours now with half an hour to an hour to go.