Fitting crank rear oil seal M35TR

Fitting the Bastuck oil seal that is as the C Marx and doesn't require grinding of the crank. Looks reasonably straight forward but mentions using sealing compound on all contact surfaces when inserting the bearing cap  and also “stick the seal ring into the seal ring casing by using a silicone based sealing compound”. Not sure what to use , but looking at it why wouldn't I used small amount Hylomar ? It will stick the seal as well as any and metal to metal on bearing cap also no problem. 

obviously I don't want to use very much of anything that may get in the oil ways. Great care will be taken. I was also going to use hylomar on the felt seals.

Any thoughts much appreciated. 
Many Thanks

Nigel

Thanks Roger, never used Welseal bit confused when to use the different types. Reading Hylomar spec its good for engine components meta to metal  and when Oil  and petrol are about. Thats why I thought it might be as good as plus I have a tube ! The Welseal is another £20 plus a tube. Has welseal very different properties or is it just a different brand doing same thing? 

Used Hylomar on the sump gasket and it really stuck it on.  But that could be very different on the seal. Ive not got your experiance on this.

rgds

nigel

Welseal is runnier when straight out of the tube, so will soak into the felt better than hylomar, when allowed to dry it is very sticky !

The reference to silicon is to stick the two ends of the CM rubber seal together once you have wrapped it around the crank

I presume you have the mandrill required to centralise the seal ?

2130857391_Rearcrankoilsealmandrel.jpg.544543acdfe397e9ce8479de39350726.jpg

Bob

splitseal.doc

Edited by Lebro

I think this type of seal is better than grinding the scroll off. I believe it keeps the factory balance on the crank and cant cause a weakness. I might be misguided but I also think it gives best of both worlds and should really fail to seal. Would this assessment be correct guys?

Hi Nige,

the joint in the seal will be under compression when fitted so the silicon gasket/sealer just maintains position leak proofing.

I used Iso glue (LocTite something)

The mandrel is recommended to maintain centralisation of the seal when clamping down.

The Rover seal, where the crank is ground away, is marginally better than the scroll seal - many continue to leak.

The Chris Marx seal is a refinement that appears to work.

Roger

The Marx seal effectively retains the functionality of the the original scroll seal yet adds in a lip seal running on the adjacent unscrolled part of the crank.

The problem with the lip seal conversions is the need for them to be split to pass the rearmost part of the crank which has a greater diameter than the area that the seal needs to go on. This compromises them. The Marx seal, even if the new seal doesn’t work perfectly, has the scroll so you are no worse off than standard.

18 minutes ago, Andy Moltu said:

The Marx seal effectively retains the functionality of the the original scroll seal yet adds in a lip seal running on the adjacent unscrolled part of the crank.

The problem with the lip seal conversions is the need for them to be split to pass the rearmost part of the crank which has a greater diameter than the area that the seal needs to go on. This compromises them. The Marx seal, even if the new seal doesn’t work perfectly, has the scroll so you are no worse off than standard.

I believe the original lip seal outer shells are removed.  There is a new scroll on the lip seal shells. Whether they are as good I'm not sure.

However the whole point is the lip seal which works well.

Roger