Hi I am sure someone here will be able to help me.

I live in Havering so will be in the new ULEZ zone.

TFL ULEZ checker states my 1975 TR6 is not exempt but I thought cars registered in the historic vehicle class (more than 40 years old, on a rolling basis), and therefore road tax exempt, are also exempt from ULEZ charges which mine is.

Thank you in advance.

Michael.

If you read through the existing thread on this Michael, you will see it explained.  See Mike Ellis's post of July 29th

OP your car is exempt.

Thank you Paul Hill.

Could you please tell me how you came to your conclusion as I have found more than just the TFL ULEZ checker telling me I need to pay, although other ULEZ checkers tell me I am except.

Thank you RobH I read all the link it was as clear as mud, it did not answer my question, I am a little surprised the way it descended, it was allowed to carry on, but I was not involved.

Any other help would be great.

Thank you,

Michael.

I thought it was pretty clear.  Your car is exempt by virtue of its age but only if the DVLA have listed it as an Historic vehicle.  

The TFL main checking page sometimes gets it wrong but the payments page will get it right if your car is listed as  'historic'

quote:

" To check whether you need to pay the charge go to the 'Pay to Drive in London' page and continue as if paying, it will then show the vehicle as exempt and no charge payable.'"

and:

"The ULEZ website says: "All vehicles that have a historic vehicle tax class are exempt from the ULEZ. This tax class excludes any vehicle used commercially (for example, coffee vans or street food vans). In line with the existing LEZ discount all vehicles constructed before 1 January 1973 are exempt from the ULEZ, regardless of commercial use or otherwise."

So, any 40 year old private car should be exempt in principle but in practice I am guessing that for vehicles between 40 and 50 years old, the ULEZ database only marks it as exempt if the taxation class on the V5 is tagged as "HISTORIC VEHICLE". 

I've put my pre-1983 cars into the checker and they all come up as exempt. However when I tried for a 1982 car (random one off the internet), despite being 40+ years old it came up as not exempt - I'm guessing that one hasn't had its tax class updated at DVLA".

Thank you RobH for your very quick help below again.

(I thought it was pretty clear.  Your car is exempt by virtue of its age but only if the DVLA have listed it as an Historic vehicle.)

I did read that but did not fully understand it, am I being thick here I normally am , my DVLA road fund licence renewels show Historic Vehicle and I will attach the part of my V5C showing Historic Vehicle, hopefully you can put my mind at rest.

Thank you again,

Michael.

V5C.jpg

Obviously exempt but what the ULEZ website shows depends on the information that TFL have.  Did you try the payment page to see what that shows? 

As posted on the aforementioned thread, I used their checker which said I was not exempt however when I registered our 1973 TR 6 on the TfL site it said it was exempt.

If your car is classed as Historic then it’s exempt. I assumed your was classed as historic.

There’s a simple solution- avoid driving in the CC zone with a historic vehicle if you’re really cost conc:ph34r:erned